AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a Denon 1600 hooked up to a Sony KP-HW5140 51" widescreen RPTV via component video. I set it up pretty quickly and have been happy with it since I got it a month ago. I got bored tonight and went through the Denon's manual again and discovered a setting I missed concerning the adjustment of the picture horizontally. I already had Star Wars Ep. 1 in it and let it play while adjusting, only to find I had another inch or two of picture on each side not bieng displayed on my tv while moving the left and right arrow buttons. This was a 2.35:1 movie so I tried a 16:9 and I got the same result. To make a long story short, I tried every aspect ratio setting I could on the tv and dvd player and I couldn't get the whole picture of the movie on screen. I'm missing at least 3 to 4 inches of the entire picture in every format. I never noticed this with my Onkyo player since it didn't have a horizontal centering option. My tv has no horizontal adjustment to maybe "bring in" the outer edges of the picture, and rightfully so I suppose, since I'd be messing with the ratio, but seems to me would be the tv is the culprit since the full picture is actually coming form the dvd player. Any solutions, advice, etc. concerning this situation would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
After reading this I tried the same thing.

Yes it is missing.

I wonder if it is the DVD or the Denon 1600?

Does yours have a date on the back of Spring of 2003?

I am thinking that changed something.

Ideas?

·
Registered
776 Posts
It's most likely your display. Most TVs have up to 10% overscan out of the box. Get a calibration disc & check it out.

I've not seen any overscan issues on any of the Panasonic-based DVD players I've used, and Secrets reported no overscan/dropped pixels.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply's.

Quote:
After reading this I tried the same thing.
What tv are you using?

Quote:
It is your TV. Overscan.
Is this common amoung RPTV's or tv's in general? Is there a way to correct this? Man I wish I didn't discover this, only had this RPTV for 6 months......now I gotta think of upgrading in the near future.........

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Its definitely your TV's overscan. Use an AVIA DVD overscan test pattern to measure how much you have, the factory setting is usually pretty bad. In the service menu and with the overscan test pattern you can reduce it to a more reasonable level.

As you noted you never noticed it before simply because without the DVD's horizontal adjustment you never knew it but your TV always had the overscan its very typical so TVs can hide some of the geometry issues on the edges. I noticed it a long time ago since I could check a DVD playing on my PC (set my monitor for zero overscan) and see the entire frame for comparison. Most TV sets can't achieve zero overscan without other artifacts, so 4-5% on each side is typically about the best you can do. Newer types of displays (like plasma or LCD) have perfect geometry so those (like PC monitors) can be adjusted for zero overscan if desired.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you say service menu, is this another menu that I possibly don't know about or it should be within the regular setup guide on the tv? I will look some more but I don't remember having any option concerning picture width.

·
Registered
28,355 Posts
4-5% overscan is reasonable and you shouldn't worry about it. You can measure the amount of overscan using a calibration disc like Digital Video Essentials or Avia.

The service menu is a hidden menu that only qualified service technicians are supposed to be able to access. There are many web sites on the internet that can instruct you how to access the service menu if you are daring.

However, it cannot be emphasized enough that you should NOT enter the service menu unless you know what you are doing in there. If you hit the wrong button and don't know how to undo it, you could seriously f*** up your television. And going into the service menu yourself voids your warranty.

If you have way more than 5% overscan and you are still under warranty, you should call the store where you bought it or the manufacturer and see if you can get a service tech to adjust it for you.

·
Registered
121 Posts
FWIW, while using Avia to fix my interlaced/progressive color shift, I noticed that while there was 0 overscan in progressive (using an LT240K projector), there was 5-7% overscan on the sides and bottom in interlaced mode.

I know that's not exactly what tuskenraider was asking about, and my display is different, but I thought it interesting none the less.

Brett

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Since you obviously are a newbie tuskenraider, it would be best if you paid for an ISF service technician to completely calibrate your TV. Its probably got overscan, geometry, and other issues typical of most RPTVs.

·
Registered
28,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BrettV
FWIW, while using Avia to fix my interlaced/progressive color shift, I noticed that while there was 0 overscan in progressive (using an LT240K projector), there was 5-7% overscan on the sides and bottom in interlaced mode.
It's not the DVD player that's doing that. It's the projector. The 240 is a little quirky in that it resets all of its defaults when you change your input resolution (480i/480p/576p, etc.). Go into the projector's user menus and change the Overscan setting back to 0, even if you've already done that when you were sending it a progressive signal.

The 240 also sometimes doesn't 'take' new settings if you power down the projector soon after changing them. For example, on some movies with wider aspect ratios I use the screen position and blanking functions to fit them on my screen. I always reset them when I'm done, but if I power down the projector immediately after doing that, the next time I power it back on the screen position and blanking changes are activated again. You have to leave the projector running with a certain setting for a little while before it 'locks on' to it. This is mildly frustrating at times, but you get used to it.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thumper,

Yeah, I'm so green to RPTV's it's not even funny. Man, there is so much info to digest I almost think it would be better to remain dumb about the whole subject and keeep my life less complicated. :) I was just reading up on ISF technicians and looks like I'll do that. Just some interesting things I'd like to post for comment. I've orded "Digital Video Essentials" yesterday, so I'll use that first to see how much I can improve things. I then got in to the service mode on my tv, of course I was super careful not the mess with settings I have no idea what they do. I found a site listing some basic codes on Sony tv's but not particular to my model. I was just working on vertical and horizontal size and placement.

Anyway, I obviously also don't know how each setting can effect others but

I squeezed the picture to fit on the entire screen horizontally and then set the vertical size the same as horizontal since these values were identical originally. Interesting thing was that I could still pan to the left or right in the dvd setup to expose more picture. Now I know I did a super basic adjustment, but I find it interesting that I still couldn't get the entire dvd picture on screen even though I shrunk the picture size to fit the screen. I did end up centering the picture better than it was and shrunk it horizontally and vertically by 2 numbers but no improvent really.

So I'll see what DVE can do and then probably get a technician out. Thing is I'm not rich by any means, but boy I can find ways to blow the money the have........thanks again for advice.

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
On many RPTVs its impossible to get zero overscan - you can reduce it but not to zero. You really need an overscan test pattern (I know AVIA DVD has one, not sure about DVE) to do those adjusments. But you might be screwing up the convergence, which has to be readjusted all the time on RPTVs. I'm looking forward to one day getting an HD plasma display since they have perfect geometry and convergence and never need adjusting - and they can easily achieve zero overscan.

·
Registered
28,355 Posts
Tuskenraider, I hope you wrote down all of the TV's default settings before changing anything. As ThumperBoy says, making changes to the picture geometry can affect your convergence on a CRT RPTV, and that is not an easy thing to adjust.

If you're playing around in the service menu, the very first thing you should do is write down each and every one of the set's default values, even those you don't plan on changing. That way, if you accidentally change something you can fix it later.

You really shouldn't be messing around in there unless you know what you're doing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.