AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a few movies the other day in preparation for my XA2, which should arrive sometime tomorrow. I've only opened one of them, King Kong, and when I checked out the underside, I noticed light scratches on the disk. Will a few light scratches cause problems in playback? I've read that HD DVDs are more prone to skipping and whatnot than regular DVDs if there are imperfections on the disk, so I'm just wondering. I bought the disk brand new from Frys. Is it normal for new HD disks to look like this?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin /forum/post/0

I bought a few movies the other day in preparation for my XA2, which should arrive sometime tomorrow. I've only opened one of them, King Kong, and when I checked out the underside, I noticed light scratches on the disk. Will a few light scratches cause problems in playback? I've read that HD DVDs are more prone to skipping and whatnot than regular DVDs if there are imperfections on the disk, so I'm just wondering. I bought the disk brand new from Frys. Is it normal for new HD disks to look like this?

Shouldn't have to many issues, I have had a lot of really scratched discs work fine. Though most people are experiencing problems with Netflix discs. You should see the disaster those go through, I mean its really bad.

·
Registered
21,017 Posts
I dont know where you read that HD-DVDs are more prone to skipping, but thats just wrong....It is not normal for them to look like that no, they should be blemish free...You shouldnt have a problem though as I have played HD-DVDs fine that have had a few light scratches...

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know where I read HD DVDs were more sensitive, but if it shouldn't be a problem, it's OK then. I guess I'll find out for sure tomorrow. If I do experience problems, I should be able to just return the disk.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I figure why make a new thread. I just got the Blade Runner 'Brief Case set' and my disc one has tiny little scratches on it. It must not have originally been placed in the spindle properly. I don't have a player yet so I'm wondering if I should exchange it. I got it from Amazon, however, and I doubt they will just exchange the one disc. Sending the entire set back will be a pain.

Jeff

·
Registered
328 Posts
I say if its not perfect and you can take it back easy for an exchange, do it.

I want brand new products, not marked ones. As when you trade/sell it on you have to state its condition and if its marked, thats not brand new in my eyes.

Many have finger marks, as some are put into the box by hand, and them fools love to grab them anywhere but the edges, they shoulod wear gloves!

·
Registered
786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majestyk /forum/post/12587987

I figure why make a new thread. I just got the Blade Runner 'Brief Case set' and my disc one has tiny little scratches on it. It must not have originally been placed in the spindle properly. I don't have a player yet so I'm wondering if I should exchange it. I got it from Amazon, however, and I doubt they will just exchange the one disc. Sending the entire set back will be a pain.

Jeff

Amazon is really easy to get it exchanged. And you can wait for the replacement to arrive before sending back the scratched set, so effectively you can exchange just one disc. They provide a return label for the post office and it will not cost you anything. You just need a printer to be able to print the return label.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Quite a few of my HD DVDs have either marks, dust, hair on them brand new, though Warner HD DVDs seem better in this regard.

One nice thing about Blu-ray, at least so far in my experience (about 50+ brand new titles), is that most of the time the discs are in absolutely perfect condition, even under direct lamp light. The only one that was marred up was Reservoir Dogs, it was pretty fingerprinted up.

Aside from that I've been much more impressed with BD than HD DVD in this respect. I know that HD DVD can be pressed on any DVD line, but it seems to me they might be choosing less-than-ideal facilities to press HD DVDs, I notice Universal and Paramount plastic wrapping says "DISC MADE IN MEXICO".

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't know why the companies handling the disc's don't make the employees wear latex gloves, so fingerprints don't get all over the disc's. I grabbed a copy of Eastern Promises that had fingerprints and scratches on it, returned it, then the next one had the same problem.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Some of my disks have a little sticker that says "Made In Mexico" so I doubt they'd ever use gloves....maybe if they were made in China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiroquai /forum/post/12588886

I don't know why the companies handling the disc's don't make the employees wear latex gloves, so fingerprints don't get all over the disc's. I grabbed a copy of Eastern Promises that had fingerprints and scratches on it, returned it, then the next one had the same problem.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
A few discs I have were bought second-hand, so a few light scratches here and there and have played no problem. The HD DVD skipping thing is a myth,(much like the ridiculous Combo exaggerations), perpetuated by morons and Blu fanboys,(one and the same?).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.