AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have my subwoofer pretty much how i want it but it clearly overpowers my speakers. i raise the levels of the RP-280F to 7+ in my avr to match the sub.. is it ok to do this or can it damage the speakers?.

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
it shouldn't have to be done. there is something wrong with your calibration if your sub is at +7 unless I'm misunderstanding your question.

Reactions: dsrussell

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How did you arrive at the speaker and sub levels?
Auto calibration from the avr. the levels remained untouched so i boosted the levels of the speakers to plus 7, which sounded allot better because it wasn't being drowned out by the subwoofer.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
Auto calibration from the avr. the levels remained untouched so i boosted the levels of the speakers to plus 7, which sounded allot better because it wasn't being drowned out by the subwoofer.
what did the avr set the subwoofer to?
Since you said earlier you set to match the sub I take it the auto calibration set your sub to +7? Or by match you mean by ear?

What did the avr set the speakers to before you changed them? The sub?

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since you said earlier you set to match the sub I take it the auto calibration set your sub to +7? Or by match you mean by ear?

What did the avr set the speakers to before you changed them? The sub?
the +7 on the speakers is what i did by ear. the avr did nothing it left it unchanged.

·
Registered
324 Posts
try turning the gain nob down on the sub to half of what it's at now - rerun the auto-cal and see what it sets the sub to and how it sounds to you. Its pretty common to bump the sub up after calibration but you shouldnt have to touch the level of the speakers

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
Crossing posts here. So originally you had the sub set by the avr to -6? You then bumped it up 6dB to 0, correct? Now, where did the avr set the speakers before you changed them to +7? Is this just a 2.1 setup?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts