AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im planning on a riser for my theater and was wondering if its a bad idea to place the riser on top of the carpet? This way, if I ever decided to move the riser or get rid of it for whatever reason I would not have a patch of floor that is not carpeted. The rest of the theater will be carpeted. Bad idea?

·
Registered
862 Posts
That's how I did it. My room was already finished when I did my most recent remodel so I built the riser on top. No issues that I am aware of. Everything sounds and feels the same in the riser as it does in the first row on the ground.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
I would think the only potential problem would be the carpet being pushed down where your riser was if you ever decide to move it. Might have to break out a rake to get it back to normal.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You might even end up with a noticeable color difference after having the riser in one area for a long time. Sort of like when you look under an area rug.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Then again if you didn't have the carpet under the riser, when you removed the riser you would be comparing the subfloor to the carpet. Either way if you were removing your home theater, you would probably need to recarpet.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocophone /forum/post/15527396

Then again if you didn't have the carpet under the riser, when you removed the riser you would be comparing the subfloor to the carpet. Either way if you were removing your home theater, you would probably need to recarpet.

I am about a month away from either carpeting or building the stage, riser and then carpeting - and am debating this same question. I figure it would save me at least $200-300 in materials to put the stage and riser down first. However, the room would seem more flexible if I ever did sell down the road...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did. If it damages the carpet in anyway, well it doesn't really matter whether I remove the carpet before I put the riser in or years later if I remove the riser.

·
Registered
385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash /forum/post/15525423

I would think the only potential problem would be the carpet being pushed down where your riser was if you ever decide to move it. Might have to break out a rake to get it back to normal.

I did this and added isolators to the bottom so any carpet impressions will be in small areas. I also added bass shakers to the riser so it is even better. I used the buttkicker isolators. They are rated for pretty heavy weights so you don't need many. Also once installed you can hardly tell the riser is off the carpet.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksharp4 /forum/post/15529328

I did this and added isolators to the bottom so any carpet impressions will be in small areas. I also added bass shakers to the riser so it is even better. I used the buttkicker isolators. They are rated for pretty heavy weights so you don't need many. Also once installed you can hardly tell the riser is off the carpet.

Where did you get the isolators?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow, thanks for all the responses. I think I'm gonna end up building it on top of the carpet and probably use the isolators to reduce indentation marks in case I need to move it.

·
Registered
335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz64 /forum/post/15537028

wow, thanks for all the responses. I think I'm gonna end up building it on top of the carpet and probably use the isolators to reduce indentation marks in case I need to move it.

Biz,

I am going the opposite, and I am building my riser first. I debated back and forth but it really came down to me not wanting to wait for carpet before I start my riser. We can compare when done since we are so close!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sounds good Jay. Although I'm still a ways from the riser, just finishing the framing but was thinking ahead. I gotta stop being so lazy and take some pics and start my build thread. Maybe this week sometime.

·
Registered
101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksharp4 /forum/post/15529328

How do the bass shakers work? Is it enough to actually move the platform? For now I have my sub sitting on it and its pretty cool feeling the platform rumble..

I specificly built my riser and set it on the carpet so I could add a butkicker or something down the line if I wanted to. If your basement floor is sloped like mine I would not worry too much about indentations on the carpet as I had to level the platform adding almost 2 inches in height at one end, thus there will be no big rectangle in my carpet when/if I ever pull it out (I actually think without pulling it apart it may be to heavy to move without 4 or 5 guys.).

·
Registered
335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz64 /forum/post/15774167

sounds good Jay. Although I'm still a ways from the riser, just finishing the framing but was thinking ahead. I gotta stop being so lazy and take some pics and start my build thread. Maybe this week sometime.

Get those pics going....I would love to see how it is coming. I find myself paralized with planning at times, so it makes it hard to get moving.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts