Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I am insane but here is my situation:

I only use my front projector in a completely dark room. My screen is mounted on a black wall. I have Athena (AS-B2, AS-C1) as my front stage. I have the grills on the speakers but seeing the part of the speaker that is not black is bugging me. Do you think is it is ok to paint only the non-black part of the speaker that is visible?

I really want to see ONLY the screen when watching a movie (so much so that I am thinking of buying JBLs for my fronts and center).

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Yes, it's fine, as long as you don't paint the drivers or the grill. Painting the grill would make it more dense and let less sound through.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Well,

It's like with cars, paint and stickers add around 5-10HP.

So depending on the color you may hear an improved sound.

Mind you it's not possible to measure this on a scientific level, but that won't stop the tweak.

Seth

P.S. Unless you're a master craftsman, modifying the cabinets of the speaker usually reduces their re-sale value.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Not sure how the Athenas look like. But if it is not black on the sides, I would just drap a dark velvet cloth over the speakers. I did this with a piano black gloss sub. If the face of the speaker is not black and the grill does not over this. You may want to cut some velvet cloth to cover those areas by draping it over or using some sticky but not tacky tape like 3M blue tape. I bought all my speakers with a black non gloss finish for this exact reason.

·
Registered
621 Posts
A can of spray paint and a trip to Lowe's for some good detailing tape to keep your drivers clean and free of paint and overspray and you should be fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.