AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am tossing up between 110 inch and 120 inch 16 X 9 screen

my viewing distance can be changed easily between 3.4 and 3.8 metres

i am thinking of getting the 120 inch and if i do find it too big, i can just project a little bit smaller

Is this ok to do ?

or is it not the done thing ?

historically i have always gone with the "if in doubt, get bigger" philosophy and that has worked so far :)

My projector is the rarely used widely unpopular BenQ W1070 :)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
The screen's black borders help contribute to perceived contrast and also allow you to compensate for marginally-off geometry (by allowing you to slightly overshoot on a side/corner/etc).
For this reason, you don't want to under-fill a screen. (That, and also it'd look silly ;-)

From your viewing distance, 120" ought to be good, so that's what I'd go for.

Reactions: AMartin56

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Also i will be using my projector almost exclusively for movie watching (and blockbuster movie watching) which are almost all 2:35 . 1 so i figure the bigger screen will help in that regard :)

·
Registered
920 Posts
If you want to project smaller than the screen, go right ahead. It's your projector and your screen. It's about what you want to do, not what's done or not done. (Although I do agree with Kreeturez that it might look a little silly to some.)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Think back to the last time you watched 4:3 content at its original aspect ratio on a 16x9 display (projector or otherwise) and tell me if the black bars on all four sides (rather than the typical two at the top or bottom for 2:35 content) contributed or detracted from the cinematic immersion...

The real question is whether 120" is an OK image size from a 3.8m seating distance: the answer is 'Yeah'. Factor in that most content viewed in this case will be smaller 2:35 source material, and that same answer becomes 'Hell Yeah!'

Reactions: ben38

·
Registered
18 Posts
Actually if you go with the 3.8 metre seating arrangement that puts you at 12.5' from the screen which is right about where I have my seating and its pretty much perfect distance wise. Fill that screen and enjoy!

·
Registered
7,244 Posts
Just curious, but is there any reason you can't just hook up the projector and try out the size you are thinking of?

You may find that 120" of diagonal is not large enough.

Why not just project onto the wall for a few days or weeks? Then put up the screen size which makes you happiest?

Certainly you may project ANY size you want, but clearly it has some negatives which people are warning of, most notably is the perceived contrast and ability to suck up stray edges. But, also mentioned is that it is your setup to do with as you please.

My recommendation is to not buy ANY screen until you try out a few sizes and then pick what you like best. Some find they are very happy with much larger sizes than expected. 133" from 12'? Sure, why not?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts