AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an existing coax cable coming down a wall from the attic to my office for cable internet. I want to run a ethernet cable from the office to my living room. Is it ok to run the ethernet cable parallel into the same box the coax cable is in?

·
Registered
520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydermonkey311 /forum/post/12869136

I have an existing coax cable coming down a wall from the attic to my office for cable internet. I want to run a ethernet cable from the office to my living room. Is it ok to run the ethernet cable parallel into the same box the coax cable is in?

Yeap, just don't run high and low voltage in parallel without 12" seperation besides at 90's.

·
Registered
520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by
/forum/post/12871522

They even make cable that contains both RG-6 and Cat5 in one jacket.
[/QUOTE]

They do, but if your head ends are in different locations it is a pain in the tail. We usually using a separate hub box for cable/sat and phone/network, sometimes one for each depending on the scope of the project

·
Registered
795 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddymcg /forum/post/12871988

They do, but if your head ends are in different locations it is a pain in the tail. We usually using a separate hub box for cable/sat and phone/network, sometimes one for each depending on the scope of the project

Oh I agree, there is no instance that I would use those combo cables. I was just showing an example of how safe it is to run those types of cables close together.

·
Registered
520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by
/forum/post/12873478

Oh I agree, there is no instance that I would use those combo cables. I was just showing an example of how safe it is to run those types of cables close together.
[/QUOTE]

Gotcha, sometimes it makes sense to use Siamese cables, sometimes it does not. Just reminding the op to think through his project. I read way to many times and get way to many calls about people not being educated by their builder/ electrician/wire puller about what they need and where.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts