AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got back from Menards and they have a limited selection of Poplar and not to mention it's 3-4x as expensive as kiln dried. I thought about using 2x2 for my outside frame and then use 1x3 for my supports within. Would this be ok to do?

Also, in the 2x2 size the longest piece of wood they carry is 8 feet long. This limits my screen to around 110 inches. What size and type of wood are you folks using that allow for something greater than 110?

The employee told me that in order to get something longer you would have to go with a 2x4, but I would prefer to avoid this size of wood. The Poplar is available in 10 feet long, but it's limited to 1x2, 1x3, and 1x4. I need something with two inches in width for the MDF to rest on, but also to avoid the support pieces to show through when I lay the blackout cloth over the frame. Can anyone help me out here? I'm trying to make a 120" screen. Thanks!

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,843 Posts
Is Menards your only choice?

Sometimes you have to bite down hard on the Bit and buy what is needed. One primary reason I do so few Fabric-oriented Screens is the hassle of Fame construction / cost. Another being that I seldom do 'em below 130" diagonal these days.

But when I do, and I use Fabric (...always Flexi White....never BOC....) I use either Poplar or hand-picked Kiln-Dried, and if 2x4s are chosen, I rip them down to 2x3 size.

If working with "good wood" is not in your game plan (...and the price of such can be daunting...) then beyond that there are few options that are less expensive....or more convenient.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan  /t/1524942/is-it-ok-to-use-2x2-kiln-dried-for-my-outside-frame#post_24547041

Is Menards your only choice?

Sometimes you have to bite down hard on the Bit and buy what is needed. One primary reason I do so few Fabric-oriented Screens is the hassle of Fame construction / cost. Another being that I seldom do 'em below 130" diagonal these days.

But when I do, and I use Fabric (...always Flexi White....never BOC....) I use either Poplar or hand-picked Kiln-Dried, and if 2x4s are chosen, I rip them down to 2x3 size.

If working with "good wood" is not in your game plan (...and the price of such can be daunting...) then beyond that there are few options that are less expensive....or more convenient.

Thanks for the response MM. No, Menards is not my only choice. I have a Lowes and a Home Depot right next to me as well. It's just the guy I asked made it seem that the only way you're going to get a 2x2 piece of Kiln-Dried is at an actual lumber yard. He said most places will only probably carry them in 8 foot lengths. But I can try those places out and see what I find.

They did carry Poplar in 10 foot lengths, but the problem I would run into is the support showing pieces under the blackout cloth (They don't carry 2x2, 2x3, or 2x4 in Poplar). Also, a 1x2 piece of Poplar at 10 feet costs $7! The Kiln-Dried was $1.80. So, that's why I'm trying to go with the 2x2 on the outside and 1x2 for my supports.

That's why I'm curious what most people are using for a frame bigger than 110" if what the guy told me is true. Is everyone taking a 2x4 and ripping them down? I can't see myself doing that.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On another note, would it be possible to add on to an 8 foot piece with another piece of 2x2 using some gorilla glue and some straight metal brackets? Could this be done safely?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,843 Posts
Possibly, if the brackets for long enough, and placed on both sides, everything glued together, and vertical supports on each side of the bracketed area.

It is the amount of tension required in the application of the blackout cloth so I could prove your undoing. Also , any straight brackets which are long enough to really make a difference will probably be too wide.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiMan  /t/1524942/is-it-ok-to-use-2x2-kiln-dried-for-my-outside-frame#post_24547452

Possibly, if the brackets for long enough, and placed on both sides, everything glued together, and vertical supports on each side of the bracketed area.

It is the amount of tension required in the application of the blackout cloth so I could prove your undoing. Also , any straight brackets which are long enough to really make a difference will probably be too wide.

Yeah, I think I might give it a go. The difference between a 110" and 120" doesn't seem that big on paper, but it certainly appears so when applying in my room. I figure I only need to add on an additional 8.875 inches of 2x2 to get to a 120" screen. I bought Gorilla wood glue and for brackets....what do you think about this?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Superstrut-4-Hole-Flat-Straight-Bracket-ZX207-10/202077353

It's only 1.688 inches in height which will stay within the 2x2 wood, and it's 7.25 inches wide, only 1.625 inches shy of the additional 2x2 I need to add on. It seems it would give plenty of support.

Thoughts?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts