AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5.1 system has old speakers that are starting to break down, so I need to replace the old Front LR Polk speakers seen here. The front left/right were the only two left working. Over the next year or so I hope to upgrade my TV and AVR, and also to get a good sound bar for LCR. I'd get the sound bar today if I had room for it, but because of the awkward Samsung TV stand it won't fit. Notice I have lots of space constraints.

In order to future proof a little I'm thinking of getting a pair of SP-BS22A Atmos speakers to serve a fronr L/R. Is that OK? Note that my Pioneer VSX1020-k AVR, while not capable of decoding Atmos, is capable of 7.1. Would there be any benefit to connecting the height terminal post to my AVR? If so would they connect to the Surround L/R? our the Surround Back L/R

In the near future, when I get room for a good LCR sound bar I'd move the more ideal loation SP-BS22As to the Surround Back, correct?

I'm open to other suggestions, too, of course.

Attachments

·
Registered
28,560 Posts
yes they'd be fine for fronts. If you look at the back of the speaker it has two sets of terminals. One to be used as a typical bookshelf speaker and the other for Atmos. So the speaker can be used for both Front speaker and top firing Atmos speaker at the same time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great. Are you saying that I should just use 2 of those 4 terminals for now? Can i get any benefit from using the Atmos height terminals with my AVR?

If so what would I'd hook into those other two Atmos terminals, while I'm using them as Front L/R? The back of my AVR offers "Surround L/R" or "Surround Back L/R".

Attachments

·
Registered
28,560 Posts
Since the vsx-1020 is not Atmos capable there is no way to assign your AVR amps for this. You can try using the front height channels (the terminals with spring clips on the AVR) but I don't know how up firing speakers will sound. You've got nothing to lose though but a little time.

You would connect the front height terminals on your AVR to the top pair of terminals on the BS22A and make sure the amps are assigned correctly.

It's on pages 21 and 100 of your manual. If you don't have the manual you can download it here.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-1020_OperatingInstructions0302.pdf

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I'm really confused. Just read Pg 21. I'd have to look behind my AVR but I'm pretty sure you're suggesting I use Speakers B (the lower right area connections in the picture), and those I think go to my back porch speakers... where I change A, or B, or A+B, etc, to activate the back porch.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess what I'm wondering is if I might want to go from 5.1 to 7.1 with those extra 2 terminals on the speakers, that are being used as front R/L.

It sounds like you're saying I can't or shouldn't without a Dolby Atmos AVR.

·
Registered
28,560 Posts
Your receiver can only power a total of 7 speakers. So if you have the porch speakers connected to Speaker B then you can only have a 5.1 setup in the main room.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh! WEll i guess that simplifies the options. Thank you. Time to start shopping for a new AVR. Does that have to be a new thread, lol.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm also realizing now that the Sp-BS22A speakers are too big for the space that I have (see photo in original post). Do they make a compact top firing atmos speaker that I can use temporarily at my front L and R?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts