AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it okay turning my front speakers (Jamo s608) from 0dB to +1dB ? Or say +2dB ? My setup is a 5.1 setup. I got jamo rears , jamo center and a subwoofer. Receiver is the onkyo tx sr-308.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
By OK do you mean damage any component? If so it won't. You do run into the problem of the dialogue (center channel) becoming harder to understand/hear and having less surround info. 99% of the time people are asking about raising the center ("cant hear dialoge") or surrounds (want more effects) instead of the mains. What problem are you trying to solve?

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazkyl  /t/1468642/is-it-okay-bumping-my-front-speaker-a-db-higher#post_23213099

Is it okay turning my front speakers (Jamo s608) from 0dB to +1dB ? Or say +2dB ? My setup is a 5.1 setup. I got jamo rears , jamo center and a subwoofer. Receiver is the onkyo tx sr-308.

Adjustments like this need to be what it takes to obtain good balance among the speakers. Even 6 dB would not necesssarily be a problem.

This adjustment is just another volume control and is in a way superseded by how you adjust your volume control. I hope that you don't agonize over adjusting your volume control!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by William  /t/1468642/is-it-okay-bumping-my-front-speaker-a-db-higher#post_23213135

By OK do you mean damage any component? If so it won't. You do run into the problem of the dialogue (center channel) becoming harder to understand/hear and having less surround info. 99% of the time people are asking about raising the center ("cant hear dialoge") or surrounds (want more effects) instead of the mains. What problem are you trying to solve?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1468642/is-it-okay-bumping-my-front-speaker-a-db-higher#post_23213173

Adjustments like this need to be what it takes to obtain good balance among the speakers. Even 6 dB would not necesssarily be a problem.

This adjustment is just another volume control and is in a way superseded by how you adjust your volume control. I hope that you don't agonize over adjusting your volume control!

I was planning on bumping the fronts a dB or 2 higher for a louder sound. When using spl meter to obtain same output , i needed to bump the rears +2dB higher than my fronts as they are smaller than the front speakers.

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
If you have calibrated using an SPL meter so the speakers are equal with a test signal, theoretically the only reason to increase the fronts is if you feel the fronts are too quiet. Raising the levels of the fronts doesn't change the max clean volume available from your system, and simply turning up the volume is fine if all you want is louder. If you want a stronger front stage, that's fine, too.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Adjusting levels with a C weighted SPL meter can be pretty inaccurate when trying to balance a surround sound system, for the simple reason that things like different speaker frequency responses ('voicings') and room modes can really throw off the single figure for SPL the meter is giving you.

In an ideal world (and how I do it when calibrating a system) is to do a frequency sweep through each speaker and then focus mainly on level matching the 100-1000Hz range (subs excepted of course). After I've done this I'll put on some program material and then adjust from there. Quite often I will end up tweaking surround or center channel levels a few dB up or down to get everything sounding it's best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.