AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Mitsubishi 73" DLP set, model WD-73C10. I want it in the basement (aka media room), but it's too big to get it around the narrow corner that leads to the basement stairs. I could do it if I put it on its side, but I was wondering if that could hurt the tv?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
19 Posts
No dont do that.....we shouldn't be moving these t.v's around once out of original packaging. This end up is on the box for a reason, as everyone at Fry's buying these 60638 at 599 a pop, were not laying theres down they were upright in the back of pick'em up trucks. Be careful though, not good on the back, but theres gotta be an easier way, brainstorm a bit.

·
Banned
346 Posts
i was gonna ask this same question cuz i dont think i can bend it to get it in my bedroom so maybe if u just put it sideways on a trolly thin u know those things that have wheels an u use to move frigerstors ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, I've called a professional moving company and they're going to send some movers out to help me get this tv around the corner and down the stairs. Hopefully they'll be able to do it without putting the tv on its side, but if they can't, are you sure it would hurt if they had to put the tv on its side for just a couple of minutes to get it around the corner?

·
Registered
3,355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhorse2 /forum/post/0

No dont do that.....we shouldn't be moving these t.v's around once out of original packaging. This end up is on the box for a reason, as everyone at Fry's buying these 60638 at 599 a pop, were not laying theres down they were upright in the back of pick'em up trucks. Be careful though, not good on the back, but theres gotta be an easier way, brainstorm a bit.

It's a dlp projector, glued to a bunch of plastic, a mirror, and a screen? Why will turning it on it's side cause it problems ? Will the dmd call out or something?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Projector sets have lots of parts inside. Some are glued or screwed down and some can move, obviously or you wouldn't get a picture. Color wheel, light tunnel, etc. Turning it on it's side can dislodge a lens, loosen a part, whatever. If you've lived a good life and the stars are in the right alignment, it'll be fine being turned on it's side, but it's a possible problem.

Do what you have to do and hope for the best. (or buy a tv that will fit without problems)

·
Registered
3,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mes444 /forum/post/19592851

Projector sets have lots of parts inside. Some are glued or screwed down and some can move, obviously or you wouldn't get a picture. Color wheel, light tunnel, etc. Turning it on it's side can dislodge a lens, loosen a part, whatever. If you've lived a good life and the stars are in the right alignment, it'll be fine being turned on it's side, but it's a possible problem.

Do what you have to do and hope for the best. (or buy a tv that will fit without problems)

I agree with you. I read this last night, looked around for some answers, with no definitive result, but something in me says not to do it. One could call Mits, but would probably get a non answer unless a real tech person answers. Doesn't the box have "this side up" arrows?

If the set can get in a different way, it would certainly be safer. Why take a chance?

Years ago my girlfriend and I had a railing removed along a stairway just to get a big set in. Glad we did it.

taichi4

·
Registered
782 Posts
I've hauled several dlp's laying on their backs, there isn't really anything to go bad.

Just don't put it face down, as the screen side is the weak side.

Most fragile part IMO is the lamp and they really aren't that fragile.

Plasmas are the one's you really have to worry about - or so I hear.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think the biggest thing you have to worry about is the base was designed to carry the weight. The sides were not. If you can do it without breaking the sides or causing any flex to the unit, you might be ok. If something gets dislodged from doing that, it was likely to get dislodged anyway.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I was thinking what you mean side? If you mean standing it up vertically on it's side, be very careful. To do that you must use the side of the base as the main load carrier and just use the upper part of the screen area as a balance point.

It could be done with 2 people fairly easily.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv_addict /forum/post/19589854

I just bought a Mitsubishi 73" DLP set, model WD-73C10. I want it in the basement (aka media room), but it's too big to get it around the narrow corner that leads to the basement stairs.

"If it doesn't fit, you must acquit. ..

·
Registered
1,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 /forum/post/19593691

One could call Mits, but would probably get a non answer unless a real tech person answers.

the answer they would give you would be along the lines of, dont do it or void your warranty.

if you damage the mirror there is big problems and a heck of a repair job.

mits doesnt like broken mirrors. i repair TVs but if its a broken mirror, i wont even go out and look at it. more hassle than its worth (both from the repairing and cleaning side as well as getting paid from warranty by mits).

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had an 82" Mits that had to go around a 90 degree corner at the bottom of my stairs. We didnt position it completely vertical, but close to it, to get it around the corner. All was well in the end. Now this 92" they just announced will be a bigger challenge yet. Where theres a will...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmh71 /forum/post/19791289

I had an 82" Mits that had to go around a 90 degree corner at the bottom of my stairs. We didnt position it completely vertical, but close to it, to get it around the corner. All was well in the end. Now this 92" they just announced will be a bigger challenge yet. Where theres a will...

there is a way!

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Light engine (includes color wheel, light tunnel, DMD, and sometimes lamp) won't be affected, UPS ships these all the time (you know how they are, being turned upside down is the least of it's worries). The thing I'd be concerned about is the mirror, flexing the cabinet or dislodging it out of it's mounts is the most common "shipping damage" I see on these sets. Of course when the mirror shatters (and the pieces fall) it sometimes makes a big gouge in the top of the projection lens or on the inside of the screen.

·
Registered
16,789 Posts

Quote:
The thing I'd be concerned about is the mirror,

Agreed. Just moving it on it's side should not be any issue as long as it's not bumped or jarred causing the mirror to shift or worse yet, drop out. Yes, the cabinet will flex making noises as it does. That isn't (or shouldn't be) a problem, though if I remember correctly, Samsung had issue with 'tilt' due to flexing of the plastic cabinet. The easy solution is twisting the cabinet back to 'level' the image.

The worst position is having the screen face down with the mirror directly above it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.