AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having diffaculty completely deleteing and reformatting a video DVD +RW disc I created w/ my Panasonic DVD recorder. then reformatted w/ same Panasonic.

edit I have attemped the erase and reformatt procedure on thre differnt discs w/ same results my computer see's these discs as full.

?.1 is it possiable to reuse a DVD+RW for computer use after a DVD recorder has recorded to this disc?

?2. are all my DVD+RW disc. only reusable on a recorder for reformatting and reuse for rerecording on the exact same initial recording was created on?

When I attempt to erase DVD+RW disc w/ my computer it starts however will not finish say's the disc is read only.

Any tips is appreciated

STB

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmc /forum/post/20837239

Use ImgBurn to erase DVD+RW for computer use.

There are other tools also. For Linux use cdrecord.

Hello VMC I have Nero6 however I've only used it for disc copy.

can nero6 be used to completely delete a video DVD+RW so I can use it in my computer. if yes tips are appreciated.

Thanks

STB

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes Nero can rease any erasable dvds. I haven't used it in years, but look under the tools tab.

I may have Nero on one of my live windows disk. I'l try to find a more accurate account.

Edit: Go here and read the 3rd response.

Also, here is a YouTube on how to erase using Nero.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found the + extra option to erase tryed quick erase twice disc ejected on it's own so I assummed it was erased it was'nt it's still full.

I just looked at the Ytube did'nt see the disc eject, also I didn't use the extra step after the initial quick erase.

I'm attemping the full erase estimated time is a ridiculous 17 minutes I could drive to Frys pick up a new box of DVD+RW and come back in less time than that.

Looks like I'll be buying a box of non rewritables for computer use exclusively.

Right now I want to download XBMC to a disc. do you know how many discs is required for XBMC?

Thanks

·
Registered
13,391 Posts
It has often been my experience that the only way to completely wipe a RW clean so that it can be used in either a PC or formatted for DVDR use is to use the "long" format method offered with ImgBurn. I have had it take up to an hour to reclaim the disk. If that is too long, then tossing the disk for a new one is an option.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/20837719

It has often been my experience that the only way to completely wipe a RW clean so that it can be used in either a PC or formatted for DVDR use is to use the "long" format method offered with ImgBurn. I have had it take up to an hour to reclaim the disk.wow I thought 17 minutes was long If that is too long, then tossing the disk for a new one is an option. I can still use it in a DVR as it reconnizes the DVD to be erasedjust can't use it in the PC

The 17 minute version of nero6 did'nt delete this DVDR formatted disc.

I'll look into Imgburn

I've been planning on purchaseing some high quaility use once DVD for archieving excellent video, so I'll just use these DVDs for computer use also.

Thanks

STB

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson
It has often been my experience that the only way to completely wipe a RW clean so that it can be used in either a PC or formatted for DVDR use is to use the "long" format method offered with ImgBurn. I have had it take up to an hour to reclaim the disk. If that is too long, then tossing the disk for a new one is an option.
Hello Kelson would you happen to know the procedure for completely erasing a DVD w/ image burn?

Thanks

STB

·
Registered
13,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain /forum/post/20841398

Hello Kelson would you happen to know the procedure for completely erasing a DVD w/ image burn?

Thanks

STB
  1. Start ImgBurn
  2. from the Mode menu, select Write
  3. select your burner in the Destination drop-down box
  4. load your DVD RW to the drive and wait for it to be recognized by ImgBurn
  5. from the Tools menu, select Tools/Drive/Erase Disk/Full

Click any confirmation dialog boxes and let it run.

When finished you will have a blank disk.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello Mr Kelson I've started the erase procedure at 6:39PM the drive is producing alot of noise hopefully it will completely erase so I can use w/ PC.

I'll let it do it's thing and post up results later.

Thanks for step by step instructions

STB

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Mr Kelson well the procedure took 20 minutes and my PC still thinks the disc is full.

I give up and will purchase some blank non rewriteable DVDs.

Thanks again for the surport.

STB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.