AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm no tech guy, but I can visualize it if educated. Just wondering if it is possible especially that I just bought a samsung LN52B750 since the price to buy it was irresistible to upgrade from 42 inch vizio of 2006. I understand that the television I have is not true 120hz that is necessary to play the 3d contents because of the 240hz I have is interloper. I found out that 1.4 hdmi is not a must because 1.3 hdmi can support 3d as long it is the category 2 one and PS3 is using 1.3 while being capable with the firmware update. To be realistic, I know a lot people just shelled out for a new HDTV recently which would make them so money fatigue to even consider the 3d capable HDTV for a while. Maybe the 3d need a sale boost so they would find a way to invent a converter box for the pre 2010 HDTV that could convert everything that are required to play the 3D contents. If it has to be priced at 800 dollars then it is worth the price for me rather than shell out three thousand dollars to replace my new television. I was thinking that it is not possible, but is it? If it is not then why?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
highly unlikely to happen and if it does it will need to be a model specific add on and i doubt any manufacture built in the expandability for it

3D TV's will be a fad just like the steady stream of 3D movies coming out in theaters today and much of this has been driven off of Avatar's predicted and now real success.

it took a half a billion dollars to produce Avatar and to do the 3D in that movie the right way so it looked realistic, i doubt very highly that most movies coming out in 3D after it will achieve the same level of immersion or success

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Here's an excellent resource with FAQ's. While they state it won't work on 2D TV's my thoughts are that if you had a company like Anchor Bay DVDO tackle this it could be possible - I'd never say impossible when it comes to technology since there's a huge 2D audience to make some Big Bucks on a world market if it truly pans out - so I guess it'll be a good idea to audition those 3D panels for 2D PQ performance in case it fails like HD DVD.

While we can call it a gimmick it's been around as such and revisited since I was a kid as I now approach 60 - it will survive and perhaps today's technology has evolved to make it truly doable in the home - I'd love to view Football in 3D.

http://today3d.blogspot.com/2010/01/...3d-tv-faq.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments. The more I think about it and the more unrealistic it will happen. I hope for that possibility because it will be nice to gaming and watch some contents like avatar in 3D. If no, I can live without it for a while.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Note to Self:

Steal this guys idea, and patent it and make millions. Bye I am off now to the US patent office website.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts