AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Absolutely!

And that goes for all other electronic devices as well.

Every device is most likely tested by the manufacturer on "normal" inside temp like 20°C (for F or K google it).

Some (note SOME) devices like a computer PSU could be tested at up to (because thats what they "count" as normal temp inside a case) 40°C but far from all companys is doing that.

And also some devices that is used outside could be tested below freezing but also far from all here too (like mobilephones for example apple).

Devices tested in higher or lower temps then 20°C is probably very,very few.

Then for the most important part in the testing.

Stacking or cramped,closed compartments.

I would be very,very,very,very,very suprised if ANY company tested ANY devices stacked or in badly vented compartments.

It is probably more then 99,9% of all devices out there that have been tested on a flat table and far from any walls,objects,etc so airflow is at it's best.

There are no recivers,cable box,dvd,blurays,media players,ps3,xbox,wii,tv,computers,etc that is manufactered to be stacked or put in closed,bad vent compartment.

I could be wrong but if i´am there are NOT many devices that is.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I hope it wont overheat too much. I have PS3 and my 32'' FULLHD TV so I need to put it on good spot. Hmm could under the TV be good because there is a table between ps3 and the tv and my ps3 havent never overheated

·
Registered
567 Posts
my PS3 Slim 250GB is always hot when its on... is that normal?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgvroadster /forum/post/20851865

my PS3 Slim 250GB is always hot when its on... is that normal?

Slim wont overheat in my opinon. I have that 250gb slim too and I have even played once 29 hours in one row Call Of duty. lol

Well it's quite near the wall and it's always quite hot when I use it, but I have never had issues with it.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
How long a device is on is no indication of how well it is being cooled. Assuming a fairly steady load (playing a movie) most every device will likely stabalize at an operating temperature within 5 minutes tops.

Also, just because a device is steadily running doesn't mean it is fine long term. Elevated operating temperatures can reduce operating life, although in truth most CE devices will outlive their usefulness before they die of high temp cycling (early PS3s phats being one of the exceptions.)

Finally, operating at extreme high temps can cause damage quickly, but most of the damage to a CE device occurs in the transient warm-up/cool-down periods when it is turned on or turned off. That is when thermal expansion is causing the most change in strain on the components/solder joints. (Somewhat related, but just kinda neat overall: http://www.centennialbulb.org/ it's only been turned off one time, to move it to a new firestation.)

-Suntan

·
Registered
36 Posts
Anything electronic can overheat. I even have a bluray player that the manufacturer discontinued because of heat design issues. It works fine now that I upgraded the main heatsink, but before it would lock up after long hours of use.

·
Registered
375 Posts
ambient room temp can also attribute to an overheating situation.

If you are stacking / storing your gear in a cabinet where airflow is restricted, that too could easily cause a device to overheat.

Lastly, the product itself could be poorly designed or cheaply made and does not offer a way to cool itself off. Many Chinese made electronics will cut corners and will not put a heat sink to keep the heat generating electronic component cool.

As a safeguard, where applicable, I use fans made for PC's, running on 5V DC to keep the cabinets and electronics cool.

I have two 8port gigabit switches that are really warm to touch. Same with my apple airport extreme N router. These devices now sit over an inexpensive laptop cooler, powered through a USB port.

These small customizations to keep the devices cool has made a big difference.

Lastly, in my media streamer (popcorn C-200), as an extra safeguard, I replaced the stock heat sink with a high quality copper heat sink which has better conductivity and heat transfer. By making this simple change, I notice a difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.