AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, well, i got two movies over the weekend, and both movies have skipped, and then stopped playing. I get an error sometimes before/after it skips. When i take the disc out, there is a little nick on the edge of the disc.

The thing is, it's never happened before for any of the like, 30 blu-rays ive played on there before, and never before these two discs. also, my PS3 games are absolutely fine. I havent checked the discs before putting them in, so im not sure if it is some sort of freak coincidence or the ps3 is possible breaking them? No, i do NOT move the PS3 at all...with or without discs in it. also, i use the latest update. i have the MGS4 bundle.

omfg....please dont be a defective ps3.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Sounds like a defective ps3

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think its weird that nothing has happened to my games or any other discs? I put a dvd in there and let it run, and ill check it later, but so far so good. although i know the laser is different. but a laser couldnt be causing the disc to break, could it? Maybe it just is a coincidence. do I get free repairs if i have my receipt?

do you guys think freezing weather could have damaged the blu ray discs in the mailbox? I get a movie tomorrow, i'll def. check it out before i put it in.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Doing your own trial and error is wise.

If your system is still under warranty, you could (should) send it in. But let's see how things work with your deduction process.

·
Registered
11 Posts
BD have scratch-resistant finish, so this seem very peculilar. Im sure the laser can' damage the disc.

searching a little, test without a wifi or internet connection, also disable BD connection in "video setting" on the XMB. google also revealed that some 40 and 60 ps3 have the same issue so..? ;(

good luck

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
sounds like it's those two discs. i gather that they were in the mailbox b/c they came from netflix/blockbuster? it's been my experience that those discs have not been well cared for and i've had problems in the past. i know about the anti-scratch coating on blu-rays, but that doesn't stop a disc from skipping when it's got a big greasy peanut butter thumb print on it. try wiping them off and replaying. i know it sounds like a coincidence that, all of a sudden, two discs in sequence skip, but start small. wipe them off. if that doesn't work, move up a step.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I use Blockbuster Online, and I ALWAYS clean the disks before putting them in my ps3. BD's often come with fingerprints/smudges, and normal DVD's often come with plenty of scratches. Always clean the disks - you don't know where they've been!

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
It sounds like the two discs were damaged by the post office sorting machines. Get new discs and you probably have any problems. There is nothing that the PS3 is going to do to those discs that it wouldn't do to any other.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I recall this problem being mentioned before during the BD-HDDVD debate. BD's are a little more brittle because of the hard coating that protects the data layer. This can lead to mirco fractures caused by the impact/pressure of the post office sorting machine tongs. These often aren't noticed until after a problem in play back since it usually takes a closer look to find the marks. In general if a mailed disc gives you trouble, blame the disc first and closely examine it for cracks or nicks.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Couple weeks ago, I popped in Get Smart(from Blockbuster by mai) into my PS3 and it started spinning up and almost immediately the Ps3 started making a terrible noise. When I ejected the disc I was surprised to see the disc was cracked like a Pacman with its mouth closed. My theory is the disc had a hairline crack that I didn't notice and it went all the way through when spinning up, and it was cracked in transit.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
wow you got lucky it didn't take out your ps3!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i think that its the discs! i looked at the one that came today, and sure enough, there was a nick, albeit smaller than the ones in the other discs, in it!

wtf netflix?

thanks for the info...glad to see its just a general BD problem. I think i will send a nasty email to netflix asking them whats up...over this winter break, ive gotten far too few movies because of the holidays and three to four messed up discs, and one disc that was never really sent. they owe me a free month lol.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
If there are nicks in the discs, it's more than likely from the Post Office's sorting mechanisms. Not necessarily Netflix' fault. Not defending Netflix either.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
There has been a great deal of discussion regarding cracks in discs in this thread: Netflix and BD disc rental discussion thread (search for crack). As I recall the post office has been asked by netflix to not send the discs through the sorting machines as that is where the damage occurs. Most post offices seem to have complied as the number of discs with problems seems to have dropped. However if your local post office runs the netflix discs through the sorting machines - good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts