AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
do you mean just using the case for a HTPC or actually hacking the A1 to be able to function as a media centre that can play back multiple formats? If its the latter I would love that, as mine's sitting there gathering dust at the moment !!

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
If you're handy with a soldering iron and a dremel, anything is possible.

Do realize that all he did was take out the innards of the blu-ray player, put in a mini-ITX computer, and hook up the input/output jacks.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by spivonious /forum/post/19652379

If you're handy with a soldering iron and a dremel, anything is possible.

Do realize that all he did was take out the innards of the blu-ray player, put in a mini-ITX computer, and hook up the input/output jacks.

I wonder if it would be possible to get the VFD working on it as well? And I wonder what, if any mobo would be plug and play on this? I'd also like to know how easy it would be to use the existing HDMI slot in the back with a new video card.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb /forum/post/19652480

I wonder if it would be possible to get the VFD working on it as well? And I wonder what, if any mobo would be plug and play on this? I'd also like to know how easy it would be to use the existing HDMI slot in the back with a new video card.

For the HDMI port, the easiest solution would probably be a male-female HDMI cable from the video card to the mount on the back of the A1, removing the existing port.

The VFD probably isn't going to be a plug-and-play solution, but a web search of the VFD controller chip might turn up something. Theoretically it's possible to make a driver for it and patch it into the computer over USB.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek K. /forum/post/19652507

weren't those early tosh hd-dvd players just pcs anyways?

Yes it was. Apparently it is a 2.5 GHz Pentium 4 CPU with 1GB of PC2700 DDR RAM.

Would it be possible to wire in a HDD to the existing mobo? Would it even be worth it to try and boot it with Linux? Would the video card be able to handle 1080p?

**edit** apparently it's a 64MB H264 decoding chip- http://geekswithblogs.net/lorint/arc.../18/78851.aspx

I like the fact that the HD-A1 already sports an existing ethernet port, but I don't know how you would fit a new mobo's ethernet port into that slot. That's why i'm hoping there are some manufactured mobos out there that one could just screw in using the same screw holes...... And then throw a video card in on the bottom along with a laptop HDD and BAM, you have a nice looking HTPC!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'd love to find some way to actually hack the HD-A1's software to allow it to playback multiformats using the ethernet port and the USB connections. It would be brilliant if you could run something like XBMC on it, as well as playback HDDVDs and bluray rips !! .....anyone done such a thing?

·
Registered
764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acribb /forum/post/19652297

I just want to use the case for an HTPC, since it looks so good. I will archive all my HD-DVD discs to HDD.

I'd like to stick a Blu-ray drive in it.

I wonder what type of mobo, PSU and fan would best fit in here?

It IS essentially an HTPC - http://geekswithblogs.net/lorint/arc.../21/75795.aspx

There's several i3 mini-itx MBs that would fit in there no problem. That guy who modded the Blu-Ray player is using the Pico-PSU 200W DC/DC power supply. The 150XT is even smaller and can run an i3 system no problem. Should be a lot of fun to mod!

BT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.