AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to extract HD recordings from the HR10-250 to and from a media server via the USB connection, I have been told it is possible by setting the unit up to use an open IP address on my current network, I would also need to get a Linksys USB200M usb ethernet adapator and connect thru

one of the USB ports on the DirecTivo..

Is the above correct?

Lon

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Yes it is possible to extract after the appropriate "hacks" are applied to the software, but specific discussion of such hacks is not permitted on this forum.

·
Premium Member
5,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say "hacks" do you mean stealing a subscription service, or just being able to extract the data from a paid service, if it is the latter how is that different from what 169time, or R5000 HD ?

Lon

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
LJG,

You have to "hack" the Tivo software before you can extract the data. Discussion of such hacks (and there are lots of them unrelated to stealing of service) is not permitted on this forum. There are some other forums dedicated to such topics, so I would do a search.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have not been able to understand why we say no-no to HR10-250 hack and treate the 169time as legit. Conceptually, I do not see much difference between the two. Please enlighten.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by usg
I have not been able to understand why we say no-no to HR10-250 hack and treate the 169time as legit. Conceptually, I do not see much difference between the two. Please enlighten.
basically TIVO told places like AVS forum and ther other tivo forums that they don't want people to discuss this hack.

This is in my personal opion on observation.

Tivo tried really hard to get the HD box up and runing with directv. What I think they told the content providers is that it is a "secure" system and they don't want people to talk about breaking the security and backing up the recordings. The content providers said ok you can have HD just back up your end of the bargain.

Thats my opinion on the subject.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by usg
There is a difference since neither 169time or R5000-HD are modifications available for the HD TiVo. I suspect circumventing any copy protection on the HD TiVo is a violation of the DMCA. As mentioned the topic is forbidden here and your understanding of the reason isn't necessary, just do a search and you and the original poster can find information on other forums that permit such discussion.

Chris

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.