AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

I believe this place is full of members with lots of experience in this field.

Is it possible to find a Barco Cine 9 Brand New or maybe used like for 50 or 100 hours Mint/Pristine condition?

Tanks

·
Registered
4,355 Posts

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
I have another unit in not on the site yet. Cine 9, 2700 hours, I'll put in a new green tube due to slight wear. That's as low as I've had in.

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
While I have never bought anything from Curt, I have been around long enough to observe his pristine reputation, so I would agree buying one from him would be a safe way to go.

However, my experience is that Cine9's can be found these days in the USA in the Runco version (the DTV-1200). I presently have two of these. I started my search last October and found 2 by mid-May, both within driving distance from my home so I could personally inspect each one. One had 1100hrs and the other 3000hrs when I got them. The Runco's are showing up as trade-ins at high end dealers for those getting the itch to go digital. The dealers are reluctant to deal with them due to the difficulties of taking them down and trying to resell them in today's market. However, if you can befriend one (or several) high-end dealers and get them to keep an eye out for these, they can be found at great bargains IMO.

Bob

·
Registered
59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMSMT /forum/post/16974050

Hi guys

Tank you so much for the help, but am not interested anymore in CRT.

I'm going to the new ones...

Did you even give it a chance? I mean did you actually do any critical viewing or were you persuaded to go digital just because others on this forum suggested digital as being better/brighter/sharper?.

Crt is worth demoing,that's all I'm saying.

Dave

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Foremost I wanna make it clear to the poster that this has nothing to do with his posting and change of heart!!!

...Problem is that most folks have never seen a properly setup high end CRT in person!

Hence they have no idea what they are missing...with most folks they wouldn't even understand what they are looking at let alone why it looks as it does! (Sorry...but I have been in this field long enough to make some critical observations!)

A lot of people are more concerned about what will the neighbors would think of them once they see that old/obsolete beast hanging from the ceiling (...my god all those different color "bulbs"? ...how retro!!! (...have you lost your mind Bob? what would the neighbors think???)

But once you show them a digital here is the typical reaction:

"Oh look that is sooooo cute and shinny...it even has a blue light on it! ...Listen...it even makes fan and color wheel noises like a purring bob cat! Bob you are the man!!! you just arrived with those cute blue lights...(I am sure that those lights were the reason the credit card came out of his vallet...Oh look at those cute little blue lights honey...they will match your cell phone and microwave...Ok hubby lets buy it!!!)"

So now our happy couple has matching blue lights on the cell phone/dvd player and now that cute little projector! (...did I mention the kitchen oven and the microwave!)

..Shinny pulsing objects for a fire bird, the wife or a neighbor....they are just "hard" wired for "higher brain function deficiency"...well maybe not the wife...but she still likes shinny things!

It is kinds like talking about the benefits (...to the person and to society.) of abortion with someone that does not believe in what you are saying!

...You can talk until you are blue in the face...but your "antagonist" will not budge/change his/her mind. ...because his/her values are elsewhere! (I know bad example with the abortion...but couldn't thing of anything else...)

In our case the values are on shinny blue lights and making buying decisions on marketing hypes!!!

So the only conclusion in these type of cases is that: There is no critical/scientific thinking with most folks when it comes to buying electronics/high ends stuff.(...not to mention good old knowledge or the willingness to look into it and learn something for a change!)...any so called high end electronics!!! (It is all about close it makes them feel to that commercial on TV!)

I think it is called "join the bandwagon" in marketing/advertising circles! (...and the study shows that your target has to have a low "intelligence quotient" for this to work...not to mention low self esteem and insecurity!)

The above mention might be a little harsh, but when it comes to what is closer to "reality"...it is dead on!!!

So learn something new for a change people!

...and don't be afraid to stray out of that "herd" mentality.

Martin

·
Registered
3 Posts
I gotta say, the snobbery and condescension amongst the CRT crowd is pretty over the top at times. I will only say that for some (a lot? most?) people, digitals fulfill their needs better than a CRT, and I mean actual functional requirements. Not everyone has the time, money, skill, or desire to pursue the "perfect image". You guys should make an attempt to understand that before posting disparaging remarks about anyone who came to a different conclusion that you did.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Stop waisting your time trying to convince people crt is superior. I just purchased a G90 at an affordable price. No way I would spend the money it would take to approach that level of video performance in a digital.

CRT IS CRAP, BUY DIGITAL!

·
Registered
595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsponzil /forum/post/17129837

I gotta say, the snobbery and condescension amongst the CRT crowd is pretty over the top at times. I will only say that for some (a lot? most?) people, digitals fulfill their needs better than a CRT, and I mean actual functional requirements. Not everyone has the time, money, skill, or desire to pursue the "perfect image". You guys should make an attempt to understand that before posting disparaging remarks about anyone who came to a different conclusion that you did.

Agreed. I'm a CRT guy, but some of the people here veer dangerously close to linux-level zealotry ("You're an idiot for not doing what I do, and you're too lame to do it anyway").

And @jcwhite57... feeling conflicted?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
It is not a case of "snobbery" as you put it...nor do I care if you (...or anyone!) uses a digital!

...and Peri I don't believe it is a case of "you are an idiot if you don't use one"!

Allow me to explain myself:

What I was getting at is that for most folks digitals are the way to go and will be content with!

...but for the ones that understand and care (...and have gotten used to a CRT's so called pluses!) about a decent PQ, CRT is the ONLY WAY to go for them!

So next time you come across a Marquee or a barco,instead of kicking it to the curb just because "digitals" are the way to go reason, put up and add and have someone that can enjoy it and can make good use of it come by and pick it up! (Instead of being a CRT "Nazi" and destroying it! ...just because it is "obsolete" and can't stand to deal with it!!!)

THERE IS GOING TO BE AN ENDLESS SUPPLY OF "DIGITALS" IN THE FUTURE BUT CRT ARE NOT LIMITLESS ANYMORE!!!

I just can't stand the level of ignorance/prejudice when it comes to these devices by the so called latest technology types and how they will destroy them if they get the chance! (...I have seen this countless times for it to be a mere accident!!!)

Most folks should stick with "digitals"! (...their values are elsewhere as I described...shinny matching blue lights and such!)

...and these are the reasons why I feel this way...and wrote/worded things as I did!

...that is all!!!

Martin

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
JC

It is sad to see that a decent shape G70 is no longer in "demand" and nobody will bid for one!

It is like anything else that has to do with supply and demand....there is less of a demand these days for CRTs because of the so called abundance of "digitals"!

...and lets be frank: when a new user looks into getting a PJ (..and discovers that there is such a thing as a CRT!) he or she starts reading the primer he/she gets overwhelmed by the "learning curve" required to buy and setup one of these beasts. (I am not even getting into what to look for hardware wise and which connections they are going to use!)

I will need a HDMI card to use my BR player...and I have to wait a month to get it shipped from china?

(most folks when they wanna buy something, want things right there and there!!!)

...another thing is that people are less willing to learn nowadays! (They want something that they can take out of the box and shoot a picture with...never mind what the quality of that picture is as long as there is a focus ring on the lens!)

Personally I don't think there is much less of a demand for CRTs. (...those that have/had them and use them are the same number of people that keep buying them!)

There is probably less people starting with one that there use to be in the past!

Then there are those few that are willing to learn and get their hands dirty, and they are rewarded with that PQ nirvana that some of us here experience on a daily basis!!!

BTW:

Linux is more efficent/faster and "better" than any flavor of windows that I have used to date! (I still use vista for my main system! but when it comes to "mission critical" stuff...linux is the way to go!...and it is open source!!!)

...but then again there is a learning curve to setup and use a Linux box...so why even consider it when you can buy a gateway/dell that comes preloaded with vista home??? (..all you have to do it turn it on!)

Instant gratification what these folks want...they want the food "chewed" and ready to digest!

...but the few that only want the most advanced and best technology don't even buy a gateway/dell. (...they go to newegg and order every single part individually... preferably Asus hardware... and integrate it once it gets to them and load it with Ubuntu!

Kinda like building a pirated mac! (You can built a better "G5" with no apple parts whatsoever and it will be (5) five times better/faster than anything apple will sell you!...not to mention it will cost you the same or less than a genuine apple!!! ...hell you can even run OSX 10.5.X on it if you want it to look like a genuine apple!!!)

...but most folks lack the expertise and do not care to follow directions and save themselves the time and the money! ....and get themselves something that is more bang for the buck and waaaay better that anything they can get out of the box....so they go for the "chewed" and ready to "digest" solutions provided by the PC makers!

It is the same for CRT versus Digital guys/gals! (..."chewed" and ready to "digest" versus "custom" made and "much" better!!!)

...and if the shinny blue lights are a must! ...you can always add them on there so that they can match that cell phone/microwave you just bought from best buy!!! (...hell you can always plant a real Christmas tree on top of it with all the pulsing blue lights that you little heart ever desired!!! ...you can also run a pipe from your water cooling setup to keep it moist!!!)

Martin

·
Registered
13,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeriSoft /forum/post/17130395

Agreed. I'm a CRT guy, but some of the people here veer dangerously close to linux-level zealotry ("You're an idiot for not doing what I do, and you're too lame to do it anyway").

And @jcwhite57... feeling conflicted?

Don't you mean Mac zealotry? Of course, the second part of your sentence would read you are to cheap to do it anyway.

The easy way around the Linux zealotry is don't read the forums. I switched to Ubuntu and I don't have to "hang" with the Ubuntu crowd if I don't want to.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts