AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a DW Wilsonart in 5'x10'. Can you make a full 120" viewable 16:9 screen with these sheets and still screw it around the edges? I have heard that they actually measure 61"x121" which might make this true?

I believe a 16:9 120" screen measures 60x106.75, correct?

·
Registered
453 Posts
All of the measurements that I've seen posted for the WilsonArt provide an extra 1", as you described (including my 4 x 8 sheet).

I found the WilsonArt material very easy to work with. To be certain I didn't have an "accidents" in mounting it to my frame, I pre-drilled holes, then screwed it together. It was pretty straight-forward.

Your sheet gives you plenty of room on the sides to size how you want, with the top & bottom as the limiting edges. Of course, you are only going to have 1/2" on either side & that's going pretty close to the edge. Maybe someone else pushed the limit like you are -- as for me, my room layout, ceiling height and my PJ are combining to keep me under 100", and no need to cut it close.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking the screws on the top and bottom will be close. but I can leave more for the screws on the sides. I will also glue it too the frame. I think as long as I do all of this and pre-drill the holes I should be fine.

Either that or I will go down to a 59"x105" and lose a little diagonal. I am going up from a 106" screen so I was hoping to increase as much as possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
To piggyback onto the original question, is Wilsonart laminate rigid enough to be anchored just along all four edges? I see construction projects here where people build a frame for it, and I'm not sure if that's overkill. Also is it 100% opaque?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,897 Posts
It seems too simple a solution to suggest that you simply trim just enough off one end to compensate for, and add to the amount left "Top & Bottom" And that by doing so you wind up with at least 1" at the Top and Bottom for the pre-drilling and insertion of screws.

But I just did. Accept that tiny difference in screen size....one you will NEVER notice anyway, and your problem vanishes

·
Premium Member
Sony 85" X900H, Harmon/Kardon AVR 254, Energy Connoisseur speakers, Epson Powerlite 8350 PJ
95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolypolyman /forum/post/15594413

To piggyback onto the original question, is Wilsonart laminate rigid enough to be anchored just along all four edges? I see construction projects here where people build a frame for it, and I'm not sure if that's overkill. Also is it 100% opaque?

The frame (such as I'm doing) is mostly to make it removable frorm the wall easily / not permanant. I'm just going to have two hangman cleats holding the whole thing, just lift up and the screen comes right off the wall. Then the screen is secured to the frame via velcro, so I can remove the laminate from the frame and disassemble the frame, and now the whole thing is easily transportable without fear of damage. These things are important to me as I'm in an apartment.

I would say, that if the laminate was flat against a wall, screwing it at the edges should be sufficent, assuming you get it to lay flat as you can before doing so, to prevent bowing. I would suggest gluing it to a substrate though then screwing THAT to the wall, as a better way of doing it.

And yes, it's completly opaque. You can order a free sample or a larger 8x10 sample from wilsonart right from their website to get a better feel for the material first, as I did.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts