Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another question for the group:

Given all the problems with the JVC's mechanics -- is it possible to use another tape deck as the transport only and send a firewire signal to the JVC and then let the JVC decode and send out the component signal as it does now? In other words, two players in place of one with one doing the reel-to-reel transport and firewire out with the other (JVC) simply doing the decoding?

Why would this even be considered? To avoid the malfunctioning JVC and to preserve the D-Theater aspect.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Mike,

Absolutely. When I owned a Mitsubishi deck I simply connected it to the JVC via firewire. The JVC will receive data from the Mits and decode it with its MPEG-2 decoder.

--Jerome

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jsaliga
Mike,

Absolutely. When I owned a Mitsubishi deck I simply connected it to the JVC via firewire. The JVC will receive data from the Mits and decode it with its MPEG-2 decoder.

--Jerome
So, why is this not being done, especially by those experiencing problems. It seems to me if one could pick up a cheap DVHS player, firewire it into the JVC, let the JVC decode only -- a temporary answer is there. You'd never have to worry about pinch rollers and capstans again! I realize it sounds ridiculous to have to have two machines to do what one should be doing, but I wasn't sure whether this was even possible. Of course, playing the audio thru the JVC won't solve the Panny combo dropout problems, but it's a start.

Wait a minute, assuming you have two machines, say a Mits on hand as you did, could you divert the audio portion somewhere else so the JVC doesn't decode audio, just does the video?

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Jerome-

I thought Mike was leading up to the ability to play D-Theater this way. Can you say this process will do that? If it can it would blow the whole copy protection scheme down the toilet for JVC.

Mike- I believe I understand what you are requesting and my answer to that is no. There is quite a bit of circuitry in the processing of the signal off the transport / drum before it gets to the Y, Pr, Pb encoder for display output. The last VCR system I recall to have such a connection was the dub mode selection and a special cable on old Sony 3/4 Umatic VCR's It was supposed to by pass the electronics in the playback deck to allow elimination of the color under artifacts of second generation copies for editing or dubbing tape to tape. It did not work where any video manipulation in the edit process was desired, only straight tape to tape. This concept is not available in the Mits 1394 output, nor in the JVC 1394 input to allow passage of D-theater encrypted playback. Due to the near perfect 1394 transport capability you will, as Jerome stated, be able to do standard non 5C encrypted DVHS tapes using that method but not D-Theater.

Also recently posted, Todd Mitchell, has been doing soem work to play BS encoded tapes with this type of process but as I understand it doesn't work for audio. Check with him on that but I'm not sure you have any interest in BS recordings.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don:

Thanks for the detailed answer. I think what I'm gonna do is eventually have Jerome build me a super HTPC to handle Panny combo dropouts, 1080i to 1080p conversion for non-D-Theater tapes. The only thing not covered by this is protection against the JVC wearing down and out. A transport bypass could solve this, even if D-Theater would still have to be played using only the JVC. We'd be talking minimal transport wear in that case, right?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
In a nut shell the answer is:

1) D-theater tapes -- you must at least use the DH30000U transport because the D-theater decoding chip (uPD61003GC) is on the 30kU's digital board only, and no where else. After that, any 5C compliant STB can be used via firewire to decode video and audio (except the Samsung 165 when using RGB!!)

2) ATSC DVHS tapes (copy free) -- Any transport can be used with the 30kU acting as decoder for video and sound, but the usual audio hickups will occur if the original tape was made using a Panny DST50/51.

3) BS tapes (copy free or copy no more) -- Any transport will work, but decoding of AAC audio AND video fails on the 30kU. The 30kU won't even pass it through the optical directly. The only answer there is to use the Japan 30k (stereo only unless an AAC decoder is connected optically), the 35k (has 6 channel output), or a Japanese STB.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.