Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Well, I am almost a newbie to the hobbie. I am considering buying a CRT projector, mainly because I don't want to spend money in something that will be obsolete in a year (an Infocus X1 for example). I am considering a D50 or a 12xx projector. However my problem mainly consists of the following difficulties.I can't possibly do a a ceiling mount because my room is rather small, it also has high ceilings, so the screen must be very high, and it would also look very ugly. Not mentioning that the pj's throw distance won't match with my 84" screen. Only solution is to built a shelf and position the pj upside down(The wall behind shelf has an opening that will provide me the extra distance). I would like your opinion on that. I suppose that I have to create a custom wood "cushion" where the back of the pj will lie. Is this possible,or I am going to hace heat problems? Does anyone has any experience with a similar installation?

Yours, Peter

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hi,

I just completed something like what you are talking about yesterday. I built a structure, supported by 2x4s that basically creates an artificial ceiling to hang my projector off of. I also created a couple of shleves in the unit, in order to allow it to be used for other things. The way I am going to mount my projector revolves around a pipe I built into the unit at the top. This allows me to use the hooks on the bottom of my 1031 projector to hang it. This also allows airflow into the projector, and gives the unit a couple of inches from the top to allow the heat to rise away from it a bit. I think building something that allows you to hang it is probably a better solution that just placing it on a shelf, as again, it allows better heat dissipation, and also allows easier access to the controls on the projector.

Vic

·
Registered
16,797 Posts
Hang it [ as Vic stated above ] , DO NOT set it on the case upside down [ CRT units are not designed to withstand the weight resting upon the outer shell unless it is right side up ] .

--- You probably are aware of this but just wanted to be sure ;) .

--- Jason

·
Registered
116 Posts
The 1031 would have to hang because you need to remove the cover to make adjustments, most other projectors require removal of the cover for some adjustments. Be careful to consider any screws that might have to be accessed during the setup process and design your shelf unit to take that into account. It would be a bummer to create a situation that would prevent you from properly setting up the projector.

Other things to look for might be: where is the IR receptor for the remote, and will it be blocked, is there enough room to tilt the projector so that the picture will be centered, will there be enough room to tweek the hanger so that the yaw of the projector is right.

Sorry to make it seem so complex, but I have gotten myself into a few head scratching situations while setting up my projector in small apartments. I wish I could always think ahead as much as I should...

Matt

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your quick response. I really thought I could avoid hanging (Women in the house complaining), but is this a projector specific thing? For example a Sony 1272 or a D50 can or cannot be put in this position?

Thanks, Peter

·
Registered
579 Posts
Hi again,

I'm pretty new around here as well, but as I understand it, all these projectors are designed to hung upsde down from the ceiling, and not placed on shelves this way. I don't think theres really any way around it...

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
There is a way around it... Mount the CRT upside-down TO the shelf. You could build a shelf out of 2x4s and then ceiling mount it to the top shelf. You want to make sure that your wood structure is strong enough to support which projector you choose. You could also floor mount on a somewhat high shelf. I also saw a cool setup at PSI (CRTCinema) where they had a CRT projector mounted upside-down to a metal structure. I guess DJs use the metal structure for doin' their thing. I don't know exactly what it's called.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Any reason you *have* to mount it upside down? Id you can do this and just leave it upside "up", you're life is going to be a lot easier.

The D50 (and most CRTs) can project either way - you flip some settings in the case to control the image being upside down (needed for the ceiling mount) or right side up (as well as reversing right/left, if needed).

I have a D50 myself (am upgrading to an emhome 8500LC after 4 years) and had it sitting on a "shelf" for the first 6 months of it's life - no problems, but it was "upside up" :)

Gerry

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, this is going to be tough.. The idea of an upside-down mount crossed my mind because the only potential shelf position is situated rather high on the wall.So if I leave the projector there, the tubes are goint to point sky high. Or is there something I haven't completely understood?

Peter

·
Registered
411 Posts
As others have mentioned, "floor mount" the projector. I use a small restaurant cart with the projector strapped down. The shelves are height adjustable and I squared the projector to the screen. The bottom of the screen is the same height (from the floor) as the bottom of the projector sitting on the cart.

BG 808

52" X 92" DaLite Screen

Daniel

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, after reading the Sony's manual I am still positive that this can be done. All the settings that demand the hood to be opened can be done prior to the installation(for example setting the screen size, and setting the pj for ceiling projection). Also, this projector has a front ir sensor, and the whole picture alignment can be done by the remote. The pj can sit upside down on the shelf, and I can possibly use a hollow wooden structure (custom made) to support its back and keep the projector's downside (which will be up) parallel to the shelf.

Still, I am a newbie and I know very little. I really want to hear your opinion.

Peter

·
Registered
16,797 Posts
Peter ,

-- like I stated previously you should not set the Projector upside down [ resting upon the outer shell ] . These units are not designed to do that and it could damage the unit [ the structure of the outer shell is not designed to handle the weight of the entire PJ - there is no doubt on this one so be careful ] .

-- Best of Luck ,

--- Jason

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.