AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It may seem like a strange question, but that's what I would like to do. My new pre/pro (Rotel RSP-1066) is capable of decoding MP3's. Only problem is, I have no idea how you would actually get the MP3 data to the pre/pro without decoding it first. Is this even possible with an HTPC? I tried searching for a WinAmp plugin but couldn't find anything. What about other devices?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
It looks like the PreAmp has a network connection. Can you just hook it up to Hub and download the MP3's from your PC?

If it cannot do that, it seems to me MP3 decoding is useless (without a UI to find and download MP3 files) since you don't need a software MP3 player if you aren't going to decode (and I don't know why anyone would write a plug in for that). You just need a file manager that will transfer a file...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Only a guess, but I would think that the Rotel would accept the MP# input through a digital connection, like a coax or optical. So you might just need to set the source to that input and it detectes and decodes the MP3 stream. I guess the hard part is figuring out how to send the MP3 stream through a S/PDIF output from the PC. I am trynig to figure that part out myself.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
I guess the hard part is figuring out how to send the MP3 stream through a S/PDIF output from the PC.
Yeah, that's the part that has me stumped.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Hi Jeff,

Sounds like a neat feature. One thing maybe to try is sending all the audio out the S/PDIF ... there should be a setting in the soundcard driver to send all the sounds out the S/PIF instead of the analog outs. Or maybe this does it:

Windows Control Panel > Sounds and Multimedia

Front the Audio tab

Under 'Sound Playback', change the Preferred device to something like 's/pdif' (depending on your soundcard).

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Selecting S/PDIF output isn't enough, though. I already have coax-digital as the only connection between my Delta 410 and the pre/pro, but that just means that audio will be sent as PCM instead of analog. You still have to find a program that will output MP3 to the S/PDIF without decoding it first, and so far I haven't found a way to do that.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I didn't think that the SPDIF definition allowed for compressed audio, surely you need to use a player to unpack the mp3 to an uncompressed data stream and then send that over the digital conenction to the amp. As long as your amp reclocks nicely then this should give a good quality output ( as long as your player decodes mp3 properly of course - but there are plenty of ways of doing this with winamp and other players.

What do you expect to gain by getting the pre-amp to decode the mp3?

·
Registered
283 Posts
BTW the com i/o interface on the back is documented as an RS232 serial connection, so it looks like its for control, and software updates, rather than for transfer of signal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.