AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this stuff has been asked before, search hasn't given me much. Basically here are some questions:

1) Is it possible to play games on a computer while watching TV when its all hooked up at the same time on a Picture in Picture HDTV? Basically I'm invisioning playing a game while watching TV in the corner display box, etc.

2) Do the Tube/CRT HDTV's display graphics/text well when hooked up to a computer? Much better than the old style TV's that connect to your computer through the svideo connector?

3) If the answer to my first question is yes and the answer to my second question is *Text/graphics is good/awesome, etc* than what brand/size/model would you recommend? I don't need a flat screen and anything much over $2500 is out of my price range for now. Would like to find atleast 40 inch or more.

Thanks for your help and if what I asked for is impossible with my budget, than oh well maybe in the future. :)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Snakebitten

1) Is it possible to play games on a computer while watching TV when its all hooked up at the same time on a Picture in Picture HDTV? Basically I'm invisioning playing a game while watching TV in the corner display box, etc.
The conventional approach would be to get a HDTV that allowed PnP between multiple inputs. Be careful on this one. Just because the TV says "PnP" doesn't mean it works with ALL inputs. I learned the hard way with my Mitsubishi. Hook up your HTPC/Game Console to one input and use the HD Tuner on the other... and voila.

Another approach is to use an HTPC with a HD Tuner card -- then you can play games in one window and have HDTV in the other.

Quote:
2) Do the Tube/CRT HDTV's display graphics/text well when hooked up to a computer? Much better than the old style TV's that connect to your computer through the svideo connector?
Properly aligned and adjusted, the HDTV will blow away S-Video for text clarity.

Quote:
3) If the answer to my first question is yes and the answer to my second question is *Text/graphics is good/awesome, etc* than what brand/size/model would you recommend? I don't need a flat screen and anything much over $2500 is out of my price range for now. Would like to find atleast 40 inch or more.
Here YOU need to do your homework. Do you have an HTPC already? A Console game? If $2500 is your total budget, you might look into some HDTVs that are only HDTV-ready. If you're driving it pretty much completely through an HTPC, you don't really need a built-in tuner.
Quote:
Thanks for your help and if what I asked for is impossible with my budget, than oh well maybe in the future. :) [/b]
Good Luck.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Snakebitten
Although I don't do HDTV at this time, if it's any help, I've done Picture-In-Picture using my TV Tuner cards but for either watching a live channel full screen and other live channel in the PIP -or- watching the PVR in full screen while a live channel was in the PIP. I've done this by using different TV cards and mixing and matching VfW and WDM drivers for the different cards. I use the VfW driver to force the picture as PIP from one TV card (ATI TV Wonder PCI) through the full-screen picture for the PVR (Creative VB DVCR) which uses a WDM driver. If I put the ATI card in full screen, then I have to use my WinTV-GO card to provide an always-on-top borderless window to get the same PIP effect. This may be good if you are hooking up something like an videogame console to your system.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I too am a fan or PIP feature. I know the new ATI 9700 AIW card will allow PIP with 2 sources. Not sure about use with gaming.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ralphjb
I too am a fan or PIP feature. I know the new ATI 9700 AIW card will allow PIP with 2 sources. Not sure about use with gaming.
That mulTView is interesting for doing the PIP on that new ATI AIW 9700 Pro card. The specs say you need the ATI TV Wonder (either the full version which I have or the VE version) for the additional TV source -- so it seems like I'm halfway there in terms of the number of cards needed. :D Price-wise, the new ATI card is very expensive although I would be interested in getting it for the mulTView if I were to spend the $449 for it. I could probably put together another system using different TV cards (non-HDTV) for that much.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Didn't necessarily mean watch TV + Game by only using my computer.

Isn't there a way to have one input connected to the computer for a gaming display, while the other input is connected for the cable tv display? Basically have the main screen display the game, while the boxed second display is showing the cable tv?

Don't really want to game + watch TV in windows on the desktop. I'd have to grab an AIW card to do that. I'm using the normal 9700 pro at the moment.

Also, any suggestions on what HDTV under $2500 would statisfy what I'm looking for?

Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Sony's picture-in picture is really useful, you can use any input, and I often web browse while i watch cable. One thing though, at least on the sony i have, it doesn't display the secondary picture on top of the other. Rather it displays the two sources as seperate boxes, with the option of enlarging one box (while simultaniously shrinking the other).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds like something I'd want.

Another question for anyone checking out this thread. I've read some on the boards about certain displays having burn in problems. Other than plasma, is there any other standard to be aware of for this problem?

Like many people now adays, the TV is becoming more of a gaming platform than actual TV viewing. I actually plan to use this TV more than 50% when it comes to gaming/internet. Rest of the time it'll be used for movies and sports.

So I guess I'll sum it all up. Any recommendations out there on an HDTV Model or Brandname that will support:

1) Picture in Picture that can display a computer desktop plus cable tv. (Two different inputs/displays)

2) Good graphic/text quality

3) No or little worries about burn in problems

4) 40" or bigger

5) Wont break the bank.

6) Probably DVI support for easier connection to a computer.

(So far Sony seems to be something to look into, anyone strongly disagree?)

Thanks again. :)

·
Registered
697 Posts
i have Sony 40``xbr 700. does most what you looking for.

price are cheaper now for that model. i bought when it was$3999.

i think its $2999 now. but you still get cheaper than that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was looking at some of these bigscreen rear projection hdtv's on the net. Like the ones offered at bestbuy and sears. The ones with DVI ports, will they work how I'm looking to use one? I really don't want a flat screen LCD or plasma, looking for a big bulky tv I guess. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.