AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 63.8 miles due east of this station. Is it possible to receive it, and what kind of antenna would I need. (Antenna web doesn't list this station for some reason...)

(My local affiliate doesn't do HD yet, and I really want the Daytona 500 in HD.....moreso than the Superbowl).

The terrain is pretty much flat from them to me (Central WI).

WEAU-TV WI EAU CLAIRE USA (Digital)

Licensee: GRAY TELEVISION LICENSEE, INC.

Service Designation: DS Special Temporary Authority (STA) (digital)

Channel 39 (620-626 MHz) Special Tem

File No.: BDSTA -20020409AAS Facility ID No: 7893

CDBS Application ID No.: 600247

44 ° 39' 50.00" Latitude Zone:

90 ° 57' 40.00" Longitude (NAD27) Frequency Offset: None

Effective Radiated Power (ERP): 500. kW ERP

Ant. Height Above Average Terrain (HAAT): 585.1 meters HAAT

Ant. Radiation Center Above Mean Sea Level: 902.0 meters RCAMSL

Ant. Radiation Center Above Ground Level: meters RCAGL

·
Registered
942 Posts
It will be just a guess, but you may be able to receive it. I'm 69 miles from all but one of the stations I get, and they have about the same tower height and ERP (well I think they are 500 to 800 kW) as what you are looking at. But I don't get them 24/7. The weather must cooperate. Not reliable reception really. Clear, cool evenings with calm winds are best.

I'm using a CM4228 with mast mounted pre-amp. But I also had similar results (just lower signal strength) with a Radio Shack U-75R and the same pre-amp.

But, in cases like this, you won't know for sure 'til you try.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Well, their power output and their HAAT is pretty decent.

And since you say the terrain is pretty flat, you should have a pretty good chance to get it. But, you may have to get your antenna as high as you can go without legal hassels and you may have to resort to a stacked pair of Yagis if the CM4228 isn't enough.

The following link has some good info about stacking yagis for extreme fringe reception problems:

http://www.atechfabrication.com/reception_solutions.htm

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I've gotten a lock on WEAU-DT from Rochester, MN, but it was fleeting. I'm about 86 miles away. I have a Winegard 8200P on a 54' tower.

Anything over 60 miles is going to be troublesome for you. You probably will not achieve 100% reception 100% of the time. Weather conditions will make the difference between receiving it and not receiving it. Get the best antenna you can, with the best preamplifier you can, put it up as high as you can and hope for the best. But I get KSTC-DT pretty good from the Twin Cities (75 miles) and they're only 205kw. Our Midwestern stereotype of flat terrain definitely helps! :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More information. I currently have Voom, and was considering switching to Dish while I can still get my money back (I like voom, but it costs too much, some channels are still missing, and I can get two free receivers from Dish).

They are going to de-install Voom, Install Dish, and put up a CM4228 with pre-amp on February 9th. Let's hope it works!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the pleasure of making the drive from Eau Claire to Rochester (and beyond) and there is a nice corridor for signals between the two. I would get Z100 FM for the entire drive, whereas I would lose it after 50 miles if I drove in any different direction. I'm sure there are big differences between FM and DTV, but I thought I'd share.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good news. They didn't even need the CM4228. The radio shack antenna was able to pick up WEAU-DT with a signal strength of 79. I watched the Busch race today in HD (until it got rained out). HD NASCAR is beautiful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.