AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the bluetooth in my ps3 been acting up lately and i thinks almost finished, i know where to get a replacement board but is there any instructions on how to properly dismatle the top of the ps3 to get to the bluetooth board to replace it? thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII /forum/post/16980173


You're talking about disassembling it. As far as replacing the BT Board, I haven't seen anyone do it yet.

Don't you have to disassemble it to remove it? I was just pointing out to the op a reference on how to R&R the BT board.


Once you take the cover off the ps3, and remove the power supply, the BT board is right there. You remove 4 screws, and replace it with new one.


I guess it might make a difference on what model ps3 the op has, but if it is a 60 gb, the BT board is right in front of the power supply.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham /forum/post/16981812


Don't you have to disassemble it to remove it? I was just pointing out to the op a reference on how to R&R the BT board.


Once you take the cover off the ps3, and remove the power supply, the BT board is right there. You remove 4 screws, and replace it with new one.


I guess it might make a difference on what model ps3 the op has, but if it is a 60 gb, the BT board is right in front of the power supply.

i have the 40gb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by milhavoc /forum/post/16980002


the bluetooth in my ps3 been acting up lately and i thinks almost finished, i know where to get a replacement board but is there any instructions on how to properly dismatle the top of the ps3 to get to the bluetooth board to replace it? thanks.

What problems are you having?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 /forum/post/16983588


Thanks for that link I wish that video was around when mine died in February. Call me a geek but I watched all 6 of those videos. Looks like a simple fix.

I did too. When Tingham called me about his YLOD death I read up on what he was attempting to do on his PS3. That prompted me to find a way to lift off the warranty seal and clean mine out. It really was very easy to take it apart. I just made sure to put each level of dissassembly screw in it's own cup. Therefore no confusion when I needed to put it back together again. I would do it again. And tingham is right...4 screws and out pops the BT board. I recommend anyone out of warranty to consider getting in there and just cleaning the dust out of the unit/fan. It has made a tremendous improvement in fan speed/sound since I cleaned mine this weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonies /forum/post/16982921


What problems are you having?

I should have asked this in the 1st place, and am curious also. Is the op sure that it's not some kind of interference causing his BT issues? Also if you think it is the bt board itself, it seems you will have to take everything out in the 40 gb ps3 to get to the bt board, as it has a different motherboard, and bt board. I have never taken apart a 40 gb before. It should not be too difficult though if it needs to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipp01 /forum/post/16983588


Thanks for that link I wish that video was around when mine died in February. Call me a geek but I watched all 6 of those videos. Looks like a simple fix.

All 6 videos huh..good for you man! I wouldn't call you a geek at all, just a person trying to learn the most about the product they own. I'm not quite sure when those videos came out, but they certainly saved me some aggregation by trying to figure it out on my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor /forum/post/16983849


I did too. When Tingham called me about his YLOD death I read up on what he was attempting to do on his PS3. That prompted me to find a way to lift off the warranty seal and clean mine out. It really was very easy to take it apart. I just made sure to put each level of dissassembly screw in it's own cup. Therefore no confusion when I needed to put it back together again. I would do it again. And tingham is right...4 screws and out pops the BT board. I recommend anyone out of warranty to consider getting in there and just cleaning the dust out of the unit/fan. It has made a tremendous improvement in fan speed/sound since I cleaned mine this weekend.

Psychological
...lol. So thats how you kept track of those screws. I actually just left the screws in the original parts themselves, so there would be no confusion for me.


I can't believe you are hearing that much of a difference in the exhaust fan noise of your ps3. Did you have a big amount of dust in yours? Mine was really not too bad, except around the cpu/gpu. With all the thermal compound that was on those suckers, dust had accumulated the most in those 2 locations on my ps3. But it is very good that you went in there and gave it a good cleaning.


It's certainly something that should be done on "at least" a yearly basis in my book. As long as you are careful, the procedure to take apart the ps3 is relatively easy, and you shouldn't have to worry about breaking anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,658 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham /forum/post/16984286


I can't believe you are hearing that much of a difference in the exhaust fan noise of your ps3. Did you have a big amount of dust in yours? Mine was really not too bad, except around the cpu/gpu. With all the thermal compound that was on those suckers, dust had accumulated the most in those 2 locations on my ps3. But it is very good that you went in there and gave it a good cleaning.

On the molded plastic in front of the fan (right behind the front botton vents) was 1/16th to 1/8th inch thick of dust. The fan blades had about 1/16th or little more on each blade, and then around the fan in the horizontal metal raditator like leaves...much dust spread out. It was an amazing amount of dust that I vaccumed out of mine and blew out with compressed air. I couldn't believe, that just by lifted the very top portion of the shell I could see dust tracks like you would see near air vents...and that's at the top of the machine. lol. But this is the price I pay for having had 2 dogs, 2 cats and a kid. There is just no way to avoid it ulness I vaccum every day. Right. Or I put in air filtration units around the house/PS3. I'll just clean it now every 8-12 months.


*note I didn't take mine apart to the thermal units. Mine seemed pretty clean in there and I just used compressed air to get out what I could.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tingham /forum/post/16981812


Don't you have to disassemble it to remove it? I was just pointing out to the op a reference on how to R&R the BT board.


Once you take the cover off the ps3, and remove the power supply, the BT board is right there. You remove 4 screws, and replace it with new one.


I guess it might make a difference on what model ps3 the op has, but if it is a 60 gb, the BT board is right in front of the power supply.

Sorry, I thought you posted the vid as a how to take apart only. I wasn't aware that swapping out the BT board was that easy, as I hadn't seen anything on the net on how to do it.


It's good to know, thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,860 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdoctor /forum/post/16984646


On the molded plastic in front of the fan (right behind the front botton vents) was 1/16th to 1/8th inch thick of dust. The fan blades had about 1/16th or little more on each blade, and then around the fan in the horizontal metal raditator like leaves...much dust spread out. It was an amazing amount of dust that I vaccumed out of mine and blew out with compressed air. I couldn't believe, that just by lifted the very top portion of the shell I could see dust tracks like you would see near air vents...and that's at the top of the machine. lol. But this is the price I pay for having had 2 dogs, 2 cats and a kid. There is just no way to avoid it ulness I vaccum every day. Right. Or I put in air filtration units around the house/PS3. I'll just clean it now every 8-12 months.


*note I didn't take mine apart to the thermal units. Mine seemed pretty clean in there and I just used compressed air to get out what I could.

Wow..I can't believe you had that much dust in there. I can see why you have much less fan noise now. You better stop playing games, and start vacuuming you "Dust Devil"...ha!


I know you didn't separate the fan assembly from the cpu's, and I hope you aren't forced to. You ought to think about it though. It sure would be better to have some artic silver thermal compound on the fan/cpu sinks. It's certainly better than what's on there now. Heck..it might even prevent you from getting the ylod. I would give that some serious consideration if I was you.


My fan blades just had a light coating on them as did the metal exhaust slots.

I also had very little dust in the front bottom vents. Just a clump or two of loose stuff.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top