AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to revert back to the old software version??? I HATE the fact that I have to hit the "*" every time I watch an HD channel now, just to get it into "Normal" mode. If they aren't going to give us discrete codes so that we can access those modes directly, then they should have separate settings for SD and HD channels. This is nothing but a pain in the ass for me. I wish I had never turned the damn receiver off. I appreciate Dish's intentions, but an upgrade consists of new features, bug fixes AND greater usability. In terms of this "upgrade's" usefulness to me, it's a step backwards, and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. They just can't make a piece of equipment this advanced, with so many different features & settings, and NOT give us the ability to configure it via discrete codes, separate memory settings, etc. Does anyone know if it's possible to get back to the old software version?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the old version and I would be very happy to swap with you.

My 6000 is connected to expressvu and the new software has not been released to us yet.

I hope that any inconveniences the new software has created can be resolved to your satisfaction but I (for one) would be very glad to take it "as is".

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Given that the cards are keyed to different serial numbers for different Sat providers this probably will not work. Also, the update may not work with ExpressVu.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yes, people do sell their Dish receivers all the time, to others who (will) subscribe to Dish. And, people sell their ExpressVu receivers all the time, to others who (will) subscribe to ExpressVu.

What rudolpht is talking about is the agreement ExpressVu has with Dish that (in consideration for being able to buy their technology) neither will activate a receiver with a serial number which was originally sold by the other.

------------------

Peter

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Patrick,

I know you want the old rev back & I know you are an old hand on the CCF front (to which I'm indebted) but as Peter addressed less tersely than myself it may be impossible technically.

I hope you find an unupgraded Dish 6000 for Dish Network. Unlike the DirecTV similar ones I don't see how to shut off upgrades from coming in.

Tim

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't have the upgrade so I can't try this but.... In the hd setup screen of the installation menu, there is an option to indicate if your set is 16*9. In the old version, it didn't matter if you checked this because the software didn't supprt 4*3 hdtv's. I bet if you check this, the software will act as the old version (ie. the aspect control is programmed for 16:9 tv).If you have a 4:3 tv with the squeeze feature, you want the software to treat it as a 16:9 tv.

Please let me know if I'm right. regards

·
Registered
59 Posts
My 6000 has this option on hd setup screen of the installation menu in anticipation of this upgrade. If you didn't check 16:9 in the old vcersion, it wouldn't make any difference because the 6000 really only supported 16:9 sets but that would no longer be true.

Check your 6000 setup and let us know.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I have a 4:3 set and use set #2 in the TV type with the new software. When I change between SD satellite and HD OTA, the receiver remembers the screen setting. I use "letterbox" for OTA and "stretch" for SD satellite.

-Glenn

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.