AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to set the time for a Net Connect? I am unable to keep my phone line connected 24/7 so I usually download the channel guide once a week, but I am running in to trouble lately. I have daily recording scheduled for 7:30am but some days it doesn't record and when I turn the unit on the screen reads something to the effect "Initializing Modem. Unable to connect. Press stop to stop." I would have to press stop and then it starts recording. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. TIA

·
Registered
971 Posts
No. This has been a feature request, but so far has fallen on deaf ears.

·
Registered
841 Posts
As it has been said, no, you cannot specifically schedule the daily network update. However, you can have some effect on it.

Between my wife and I we have four 5000 series boxes and an 80 hour Showstopper. The 5000 boxes are on broadband, while the Showstopper is on dial-up. What I have observed is that the broadband updates occur something like every 24 to 25 hours. So if I force an update at 4:00 AM on a Monday, the subsequent updates will occur somewhat later each day as the days pass.

My Showstopper on dial-up is not that way at all. It seems to stay in the wee hours of the morning ( 2:00 AM to 5:00 AM ). The only variation is from over-night recording it might be making.

Do you do a lot of over-night recording?

It also may be that your modem is having trouble functioning. Have you tried dropping the speed down to maybe 33.6 Kbps? The ReplayTV FAQ has instructions on how to do that.

Bye. :cool:

Quote:
Originally posted by Chip718
Is it possible to set the time for a Net Connect? I am unable to keep my phone line connected 24/7 so I usually download the channel guide once a week, but I am running in to trouble lately. I have daily recording scheduled for 7:30am but some days it doesn't record and when I turn the unit on the screen reads something to the effect "Initializing Modem. Unable to connect. Press stop to stop." I would have to press stop and then it starts recording. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. TIA

·
Registered
518 Posts
I'm sure you know about it, but you can manually do a NetConnect. Go to the 243-Zones menu, and select it there.

Not as convenient as setting a specific time, but atleast you can plug it in, have it dial, then put the phone cable away 20 minutes later.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Cornwell
I'm sure you know about it, but you can manually do a NetConnect. Go to the 243-Zones menu, and select it there.
BTW... if you are using release 110, you can also do this from the last item in the setup menu (I always forget the code).

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jbarr
No. This has been a feature request, but so far has fallen on deaf ears.
I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason was financial. It is probably cheaper to lease those dial-up numbers in the wee hours of the morning.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was experiencing the "Initializing modem" freeze-ups every 4 or 5 days with my 5040. I discovered that my machine hadn't been able to download 110 yet, and found this post to be helpful:

(Sorry, tried to post a link, but I'm too new)

Search for the "How to force a software download?" thread, and look at post #2 by ReplayLyndon.

I performed this procedure over a week ago, and it cleared up my "initializing modem" problem, along with a few other nagging issues!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Not an expert, bye any means, but you might try this work-around.

(I used it for a while because I had to drag a long, long, long phone cord all the way across the living room and people just were NOT happy tripping over it! Go figure...no appreciation for the magic of a ReplayTV, I guess.)

a) Just unplug the phone cord most of the day.

b) When appropriate for your recording schedule, plug the line back in and force a net connect.

c) Repeat a)

Good news ... with software v110, my modem seems much faster.

Who knows? Maybe in the future it will really start to screem! (Well, relative to a phone modem anyway).

We can but hope.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.