AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering in light of some of the questions I've had about how to determine the acoustic length around a corner.

Is anyone aware of a way to introduce a sound at the horn mouth and measure the delay of its return to determine the true acoustic length of the horn?

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Maybe an impulse burst. Put a speaker at the mouth and measure. Then remove the speaker and measure the horn without moving the mic or horn. The difference in time will be the difference between impulses. Which can be converted to distance.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlibHarbinger /forum/post/20808849

Just wondering in light of some of the questions I've had about how to determine the acoustic length around a corner.

You determine its true acoustic length with an impedance sweep. Use that result to adjust the simulation until they agree, then you can see what the sim gives for path length.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
You could try REW's loopback function.....and compare a driver in a sealed enclosure to one in the horn, the difference between the two values would be the horn length. It would only would work for a front loaded horn, though...

JSS

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Couldn't you just run MCACC / Audyssey full auto, see what distance setting it comes up with, and then subtract the physical distance from the measurement position to the mouth?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There are some automotive retro fit ultrasonic products for measuring distance: Car Park Sensor

Wonder if you could rig an adapater to fit the ultrasonic transducer in the driver cutout and then mic the mouth. You might be able to measure the distance of everything but L12 with that. Although I bet the acoustic distance varies somewhat with frequency, and 40KHz is pretty far from the passband for a bass horn

How do you measure impedance (acoustic impedance?) Bill?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/20811743

Couldn't you just run MCACC / Audyssey full auto, see what distance setting it comes up with, and then subtract the physical distance from the measurement position to the mouth?

That's a good point! I guess the Audyssey is taking a sounding, at least from the driver position. How accurate is it? Ideally it would be accurate to a cm if you wanted to compare it to a HornResp model.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlibHarbinger /forum/post/20811839

You don't. You measure the electrical impedance, with a resistor bridge/generator/DMM or WT3.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlibHarbinger /forum/post/20811839

There are some automotive retro fit ultrasonic products for measuring distance: Car Park Sensor

Wonder if you could rig an adapater to fit the ultrasonic transducer in the driver cutout and then mic the mouth. You might be able to measure the distance of everything but L12 with that. Although I bet the acoustic distance varies somewhat with frequency, and 40KHz is pretty far from the passband for a bass horn

Electrical impedance.

How-to here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1340740

·
Registered
5,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlibHarbinger /forum/post/20811894

How accurate is it?

Good question - I wonder if it would need to average the direct and reflected sounds and base the distance on that - versus the direct sound only. I've actually never run it and then measured to see how close it is - since most of the time, you only care about whether the arrival time is in synch with mains (and I've heard some reports that that can be off by a few ms / feet). Would be interesting for someone to test with a sealed sub (actually I'm sure a Google search would find someone who has done so) - but not terribly germaine to your original question.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.