AVS Forum banner
113K views 719 replies 152 participants last post by  Nascar Dog 
#1 ·
I was just curious if it was possible to give a PDP-6020FD the color tweaking functionality of the PRO-151FD by swapping one of the boards out? I been searching and it seems like most of there boards are the same part# maybe they are just hardcoded differently. Anyone know anything about this and which board if it is possible?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Yes it is possible. I thought I would move some of the Project "E-LITE" information to the front for easy reference.

Wrinklefree's website has an outstanding rundown: http://www.hippotechsolutions.com/?page_id=2693

Unlock ISF After board swap. See Calibration Forums and contact Turbe(Tell him you have a 9G non-elite with an ELITE I/O board or E-LITE): http://www.controlcal.com/forum/index.php

Also check out these posts: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post19230005 and http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post19202059

I also attached my attempt at a clear as mud rundown but you will have to suffer my mindless ramblings

Can the Pioneer 9G Non.pdf 341.8330078125k . file

Attachments

See less See more
Discussion starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfunny1980 /forum/post/18130439

I have no technical knowledge regarding swapping boards but it seems like it would be easier and less expensive to just have the 6020 professionally calibrated. AFAIK you cannot activate the ISF modes on a non-elite but a professional calibration would get you close in terms of picture quality.

I am more of a do it yourself kind of person than hiring someone. If it is a single board swap then it would be a cost effective way to upgrade that panel and have more options. If you have to change several boards then it is not. I'm just trying to find out if it is technically possible or if there are limiting factors preventing someone from doing that..

Quote:
Originally Posted by esswun /forum/post/18130787

Can one turn a BMW 3 series into an M3? I doubt this is possible.

I don't know but if I wanted to find out I would go to a BMW forum.

Discussion starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybam /forum/post/18132002

I'd say you COULD, but you'll probably spend more money than what it costs to buy the 141/151.

Acctually you can find the boards on the net indivdually for both the 151 and the 6020. They are listed as the same part number and can be had for under $100. I just can't find the information on which one contains the menu for the 151 and if the 151 board would even work in a 6020. I was hoping there might be some service techs on here that might be able to say what differentiates them and how to tell the difference.

Discussion starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplover /forum/post/18131964

You would have to check that it uses the same screen and everything. If it has a different panel, you could possibly damage it. Also, if there's any difference in any of the components beyond just that board, you would need to replace that as well if it were even possible. It sounds like a fun project, but not a fun project when the panel is a Kuro. Also, the parts needed would likely cost you at least as much as a pro calibration. May as well just go for that and call it a day IMO.

Being a kuro is the only thing that scares me but If I could find the right part and know it would work I could at least get the part while it is available at a resonable price and someday I might just try it.

Discussion starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinklefree /forum/post/18133245

Here you go

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1226664

I've seen that and its always a possibility but at that price I should have tried to find an Elite from the begining. I have used controlcal and I am in no way unsatisfied with the results, it brought new life to my 6020. I just think it would be a fun project to see if it could be done on the cheap and gain access to the advanced picture controls the elites have. I have a feeling that it isn't as simple as a board swap however, I found a site that sells the boards for both and they list the acctual panel model# and they are different. So I assume the boards are the same but can detect the difference in the panels and activates the menu accordingly. Since the PDP-XX20 and the PRO-111/151FD used the same firmware update this would make sense. I still would like to find out for sure.

Discussion starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman /forum/post/18134437

I'm sure if Pioneer would issue a firmware update there would be more menus to access on these 20's. But that won't happen. Especially since they are out of the tv market completely and the fact that the 20's are a few years old already. We got our one update last April, and that will be it.

Even if they were still in the plasma market I don't think they would add features in a firmware. They would only patch a bug.

Discussion starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVJunkie2010 /forum/post/18135075

If the boards are the same part number then wouldn't it be logical to think that those two parts are the same and that it's something else internally that makes them different? I'm sure they share a fair amount of the same parts but it's figuring out which ones they don't share and what the funtion of that part is and if it can even be a direct swap. Sounds like a lot of work and probably expense just get a little better picture.

Some people on here will spend thousands on software and a color sensor and then spend hours trying to figure out how to use it when they could have just hired a professional for a few hundred dollars. Why? It's probably a hobby to them and they learn something new.

Discussion starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim /forum/post/18137239

Indications are that all the advanced features are already be in firmware . The key would be to find out if there is a 'backdoor' in the software to unlock their use.

D-Nice at one time seemed to think he might be able to unlock them before he lost interest. You might think software hack more than hardware.

This is interesting. I read enough on the non-elite thread to know D-NICE was not going to divulge anymore info on the non-elites but I must have missed this info. Thanks

Discussion starter · #25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakyol /forum/post/18144525

I actually have an interesting situation. I bought a pro151fd and when

it arrived, its screen was shattered. While I was dealing with the insurance

claims, I ordered a 6020fd since I could not find the pro151 again at the same

price anywhere else ($4000). So I now have a pro151fd with a broken

screen & a fully working 6020fd. I understand that they use exactly the

same panel. How difficult would it be to move the panel from the 6020

to the pro151fd ? Has anyone ever seen how complex (or easy) that may be ?

Is it "mechanically" an easy modification ?

Thanx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlsim /forum/post/18147330

You may be in a good position to ask some questions directly to Pioneer as a customer and an owner of 2 of thier large (expensive) Plasmas. I'd call them, tell them I own 2 panels and would like to speak to the people in support and engineering.

If you can get some good contacts you might be able to extract some good inside info on the compatibility level of these displays or even how you might open up the advanced features of your Non-Elite. Someone in engineering might have an idea.

I would be very interested in what they have to say.

Discussion starter · #26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe /forum/post/18147463

Hi TG_ONE,

Did you enter Posted Settings (offsets) or do a proper calibration with additional equipment/software? If posted settings, there's always the chance those settings will be totally wrong for your specific display/build.

A proper calibration (DIY or PRO) can really bring out the NE's potential as many know... If you did a DIY calibration, what meter did you use...?

Hi turbe,

I started out with the posted settings and tweak'd off of that. I will probably get it calibrated but for now I am enjoying it at the current settings.

Discussion starter · #29 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe /forum/post/18156360

The VideoEq Pro has full true CMS (the one you linked doesn't), wrinklefree posted some results with his VideoEq Pro and NE. It can also be used for grayscale and gamma.

I have the VideoEQ Pro myself but focusing on fixing some issues with my Projector.

Is there a review coming or already out for this?

Discussion starter · #31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe /forum/post/18166997

Yes, I'm sure there will be several.. wrinklefree has already posted some results in the 9GNE Owner's Thread... search his past Posts and you should be able to find them...

Thanks Turbe, I see now that the Duo only has the 11 point grayscale adjust and thats about it.

I also have a question about the spyder3 sensor, from what I read it is not a good one to use with plasmas but I decided to try it out last night and I know my eye is not calibrated but the results I got were the best looking picture I have seen on my 6020 so far. So my question is, is there DIY way to check the cal on the sensor? Also the spyder3 sensors that are inaccurate how bad of a picture will it produce? Is it something someone would notice? Ok that was 3 questions.

Discussion starter · #34 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbe /forum/post/18167221

To check your Spyder, you would want to use another accurate/reference meter or optical comparator. If you had a Display (or friend's Display) that was calibrated by a Professional with a decent meter, you could use that display to check your Spyder (not the preferred way).

I'd just get a new meter

I was thinking it would be somthing along those lines. I guess I will just have to pick up an optical comparator at wally world tonite
Thanks again.

Discussion starter · #40 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot /forum/post/18974281

Very interesting...how'd you do it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by opensesame /forum/post/18974341

Hooray!!!

If this is something that can be done with a firmware patch, Turbe with ControlCal might be interested in this. Also, were you able to enable the ISF Day/Night modes? A lot of us 5020/6020 owners would love to have this capability.

PS I am willing to pay for a firmware upgrade.

Thanks

Mark

FOR OBVIOUS REASONS THIS WILL VOID YOUR WARRENTY. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK. I WILL NOT BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR YOU DAMAGING YOUR PIONEER PLASMA DISPLAY DEVICE OR PERSONAL INJURY. THE FOLLOWING IS NOT A PROCEDURE THAT SHOULD BE USED RATHER IT IS A TEST TO PROVE A THEORY.

Now that that is out of the way.

This was simply a board swap (PRO-151FD Part# AWW1353) The original board in the 6020 is AWW1352. This is the board with the service serial port, speaker terminals and composite/component inputs. I don't know if it makes a difference but before i turned off the TV to swap the boards I put it in factory reset. For example the startup screen asking if the tv is for home or retail use would come up the next time you power up. Also the new board has an extra headphone jack style input for the color sensor. So unless you can find the back panel from a pro-151fd you would either have to drill a hole in the panel if you plan to use it or trim the end of that port on the new board so the panel will fit over it.

So how does it look. Pure mode is amazing. From what I can tell it has all the same menu's that the PRO-151FD has looking at the OM. I watched the Book of Eli last night and was switching back and forth between Pure and Movie mode and Pure mode was displaying more color detail than Movie mode. That Movie is not the most colorful movie but I could notice the difference. It might be interesting to get ISF modes unlocked next. Hope you enjoyed this "test".

Discussion starter · #44 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogPilot /forum/post/18979000

Wow, that's good news for all the adventurous, relatively handy 6020 owners out there! How much did the replacement board cost?

There are many places online to find it. Search pro-151fd on ebay. There are other online dealers including pioneer directly.

Discussion starter · #45 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Avarice_ /forum/post/18979146

That is very interesting. My apologies for the skepticism; I did not read the whole thread and assumed this was some kind of software solution....didn't realize you were swapping boards!

Your observation was spot on
. There is no cracked firmware that I am aware of. I belive the firmware is looking for specific hardware which in this case is the board I used. Looking at the parts list between the pdp-6020fd and the pro-151fd all the major boards are the same part number except for the board with the service port

Discussion starter · #49 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcdo /forum/post/18980173

Actually, looking through the ebay parts, it appears a lot of the boards are ANP2217-B with the alterations between the AWW1352 and AWW1353 being changes in the upper right hand corner as seen in this picture.

I wonder if altering that section an manually change your set into an elite.

They use the same PCB between the board part numbers but I noticed one of the chips part number are different between AWW1353 and AWW1352.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.