AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Microsoft ultimate TV with direct TV and I believe it's a a Sony SAT-B50. Is it possible to download the recorded videos onto a computer through the USB port on the system? In other words, can I download the videos that I recorded from ultimate TV to my computer via USB or any other way? I know TIVO has a feature that does this. If so, what do I need to do this? Or are there any other suggetions besides VCR?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forum parvadog.

The USB Ports on the MS UTV (On all Sony and RCA Models) are for "future" expansion.

Since MS UTV isn't actively being updated (ie. it's software development is no more) it's unlikely the various "expansion" options hyped by MS will ever see the light of day.

However, the USB ports are "powered" so you can use them as a power outlet for USB powered devices (Fans, Lights,etc.).

The UTV USB Ports can also support a USB Keyboard so if your Sony UTV's Wireless Keyboard is broken or missing you could use a wired/wireless USB Keyboard for data entry. Some "UTV Feature" buttons may not be available using USB.

As for options beside VCR. I use a device called Instant DVD 2.0 which allows me to convert my UTV recording from the UTV S-Video and Audio outputs to my Computer to burn to DVD.

If you are interested in using your UTV to the fullest, I'd consider upgrading your UTV Hard Drive from a 40GB to a 120GB or 160GB drive (Only up to 137GB of any IDE Drive will be recognized by UTV). That will give you more then 3x the recording capacity and may cut down of the need to "dump" your recordings as often. (Depending on your useage)

Upgrading the UTV Hard Drive is fairly simple. Read the UTV FAQ on this forum for tips. (Biggest upgrade issue? REMOVE Your Access Card BEFORE opening the cover. Damage to Card Reader is likely otherwise.) If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

We are here to help.

David

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David,

Thank you so much for the info on that. I was going to give up hope on it. If I could ask you a couple more questions on the Instant DVD 2.0. What does the connection look like? In other words, which wires go into Instant DVD and which wires connect to the computer. Can you go wireless with Instant DVD? My computer is in another room and it would be really difficult to connect it without wireless.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parvadog
David,

Thank you so much for the info on that. I was going to give up hope on it. If I could ask you a couple more questions on the Instant DVD 2.0. What does the connection look like? In other words, which wires go into Instant DVD and which wires connect to the computer. Can you go wireless with Instant DVD? My computer is in another room and it would be really difficult to connect it without wireless.

Thanks again!

Here you go parvadog link and it is a pretty good place to deal with. I don't know how much cheaper you could find it but can you trust those other guys?

Thanks for the info David. I'm looking into this myself.

Reviews on Instant DVD 2.0

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Hi parvadog,

My Instant DVD 2.0 is, as you might notice from some of the review links posted, a USB 2.0 device So it requires a USB 2.0 connection to the computer (USB 1.1 might work too, but you may be limited to lower quality transfers VCD,SVCD, and maybe lower DVD transfers maybe 3-4mb/s).

Since I didn't have USB 2.0 on my computer AND I have several UTVs and a DTivo downstairs... I stopped by the local Wal-Mart and picked up a Audio/Video RF Switch so I can output S-Video and RCA A/V Cables to the InstantDVD 2.0 box. I also picked up a Belkin USB 2.0 Card for $30. The Instant DVD2.0 box has inputs in the back for S-Video and RCA Audio/Video and RCA A/V Cables in front for "fast" access. So you can use S-Video and or RCA Cables from the UTV with InstantDVD2.0

If you want to go wireless because you can't put the computer/UTV near each other then you might check into a Wireless USB 1.1/2.0 device which can allow Wireless Connection to "Wired" USB Devices. I've seen them around, but I've no personal experience with them. You will have to check the Spec. Sheet on the device to see what it can/can't do. It might be able to do the high-speed transfers needed by InstantDVD2.0 so be very careful about this.

UPDATE: Check this link it might do what you need... Requires 802.11g (11b backward compatible) Wireless Network. Still check out the transfer rates...
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=1351532

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.