AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the older model cerwin vega 150 large floor standing speakers which has a 18" driver at the bottom, would it be possible to replace that driver with a new TC Sounds 18" driver? In other words somehow use the Cerwin Vega as a subwoofer box, I know ther are extremly heavy and built like a tank but wasnt sure if this would work or not

·
Registered
498 Posts
Are you asking about using the box just for a subwoofer? If so you would need to calculate the internal volume of the CV box. Then you would need to model the TC Sounds driver in something like WinISD to see what size box the driver needs. If the CV box is the right size or close, then sure it would work. It would not be optimum at all. I'm sure the box is not very well braced. It would be much easier just to build a new box from scratch.

Now if you are asking if you can just replace the CV driver with the TC sounds driver and use them as they are, then the answer is no.

·
Registered
720 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKVALLEJOS /forum/post/18310995

I have the older model cerwin vega 150 large floor standing speakers which has a 18" driver at the bottom, would it be possible to replace that driver with a new TC Sounds 18" driver? In other words somehow use the Cerwin Vega as a subwoofer box, I know ther are extremly heavy and built like a tank but wasnt sure if this would work or not

Depending on the model of the TC Sounds 18" driver, unless the box was heavily reenforced, you'd probably end up with sonething that resembles this...

All kidding aside... it's probably not a good idea since you'd be limiting performance due to the constraints of the box that you're thinking of working with. My opinion, build a separate box for the TC Sounds 18" driver that's optimal for extracting every ounce of performance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts