Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To make an HTPC from the following PC I have:

Intel PII 350

256 SDRAM

Intel 440BX chipset

Intel740 AGP graphics (8mb ram)

I plan on getting a new hard drive (160gb) as well as putting WinXP on it. I understand Dscaler is pretty much impossible with a setup like this.... but for DVD and MP3 only (no hdtv either), what do you guys think....should I even bother to try? TIA!

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
A PII 350 is enough horsepower to play a DVD (and easily enough for MP3's). But you are starting to push the bottom. I'd try and keep the system as clean as possible, which is one of the reasons I would suggest rethinking installing WinXP on it.

256 RAM is plenty (again, not installing XP will help here, though it should be enough for XP and DVD play.)

The Intel Video worries me. It probably will work, though I just don't know. The best thing to do is these situations is just test it. Put in a DVD and see if it plays. In any case, the first upgrade I'd do on this system is a new video card assuming you have an AGP slot.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
XP on a PII 350? I fear that even though it probably will run, it will do so awfully SLOOOOOOOWLY.

____

Axel

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that's what I was fearing......didn't know if anyone had successfully - or unsuccessfully tried it before. Right now it has Win98, and the copy of powerdvd I have says it is only for 98se. I'm just trying to get away the min possible $$ spent for a workable solution. The thing doesn't even have a DVD-rom...so I would have to buy one of those as well.

I was thinking the same thing about the graphics card....of course it would be easy enough to throw a cheap radeon 7000 series in there.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had a celery 900 in my BX board... check your upgrade options.. you may be able to pick up a celery 700 or something and put in there for cheap.. and that should provide lots of Horsepower. Or Hardware decoding board....

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
If you want to save $$$, you could always check on eBay for used systems... It might not have the best components for HTPC but it's an inexpensive start. ... Or buy used components off eBay. Then you can even pick and choose for a bit more $.

(BTW I have an used Asus P4T-E mobo for sale that I had planned to sell on eBay.... :D)

____

Axel

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
XP SP1 runs just fine on my PII 333(overclocked 233).

However, it cannot play DVD's. Can't even play MPEG2 from the hard drive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.