AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is hell getting old and trying to keep up with technology!

Bought a new Samsung HDTV (46") and am looking at my sound system.

Been looking at HTIB and am not impressed. You have to turn them up to 80% volume to get any boom.

I have a Kenwood KRV6050 that I have had for years. It says it is 5.1 and pro logic. It does not have HDMI, optical or digital connectors.

What I was considering is this.

Cable to Tivo HD - HDMI to the TV and RCA to the amp on Video 1.

DVD Up-convert HDMI to TV and RCA to Video 2 on Amp

Will these scenario give me true 5.1 sound?

I was looking at the JBL SCS500.5 as a new set of speakers.

Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,985 Posts
Sorry, but no. RCA cables are stereo. If your receiver lists ProLogic, it will produce faux 5.1, pulling elements out of the stereo inputs and sending sound to the other speakers. But, you need a digital input to get real 5.1.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
You might get matrixed surround sound from the Pro-Logic processing of the stereo inputs but not discrete 5.1 audio from the Tivo or the DVD player

Perhaps its time to look at a new receiver with HDMI inputs and newer decoders (Pro-Logic II is miles better than the old Pro-Logic)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also had the realization this morning driving to work that there is no connection for the subwoofer.

So now I do need to find a new receiver but I am unimpressed with what I have seen so far.

The JBL speakers are about $350. A DVD player $150. That means I would like to keep the receiver about $250.

·
Registered
875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldradio99 /forum/post/12927058

So now I do need to find a new receiver but I am unimpressed with what I have seen so far.

What does a $250 receiver need be able to do to impress you, sir?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am looking for easy of connectivity.

It would be great with HDMI pass through. Tivo HD via HDMI to Amp and then HDMI to TV where amp picks up sound without other digital cables.

and then DVD via HDMI to AMP and then on to TV as well.

Am I making sense?

·
Registered
775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldradio99 /forum/post/12928772

I am looking for easy of connectivity.

It would be great with HDMI pass through. Tivo HD via HDMI to Amp and then HDMI to TV where amp picks up sound without other digital cables.

and then DVD via HDMI to AMP and then on to TV as well.

Am I making sense?

Man what is it with all this HDMI hype. People act like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread even though it doesn't work 100% of the time. What's the big deal if you have one cable or two? You're only gonna hook it up once.

The Yamaha 661 is a great receiver. However it's not 250 bucks. You're not gonna find lavish HDMI connectivity with only spending 250 bucks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
yup, got to agree. the 661 is about the best receiver you can get at around 500, maybe a harman kardon 247, but the power isn't as high as the yamaha. i think around 40 watts rms, 85 peak, but 1080i upscaling and transcoding on the hk. honestly though, if you could still find a denon 2807, they retail for about 400 now, that would be awesome. i say that cuz i work at best buy and got one new in box for a customer just about two weeks ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts