AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
LED TVs are always LCDs. LED TV refers to the backlight. There's two types of LED backlit TVs, full array and edge lit. Full array LED backlit TVs are an LCD screen with an entire array of LEDs behind the screen, that can dim certain areas of the screen on command, to improve the black levels. Edge lit is just what it sounds like, the LEDs are only on the edges, shining through a tunnel to even out the light. Black levels and uniformity are not as good on these sets, but some are pretty damn good anyways, and they're thin.

There's "OLED" TVs that are actual LED TVs, and you'll know you're buying one of those if the only one you can find is 21 inches and it costs $8000.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I once had a salesmen at BB tell me that LED was worlds different and far superior to a conventional LCD set...go figure

The marketing out there would try to make your average Joe believe this but the reality is they are one and the same. The only advantages to the LED sets is they are usually thinner and might last a bit longer. Plus they don't usually use as much energy and don't use toxic mercury laced bulbs.

Not really sure if they offer any performance improvement other then a few select local dimming models. In fact I have heard some LED back lit sets are less directional and offer worse colors. On the other hand I have heard they can be a bit better directionally and better colors. So I guess it depends on the set and the person!!

They will probably all be LED in the future. Its the green thing to do!!

·
Registered
4,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fs454 /forum/post/19601015

LED TVs are always LCDs. LED TV refers to the backlight. There's two types of LED backlit TVs, full array and edge lit. Full array LED backlit TVs are an LCD screen with an entire array of LEDs behind the screen, that can dim certain areas of the screen on command, to improve the black levels. Edge lit is just what it sounds like, the LEDs are only on the edges, shining through a tunnel to even out the light. Black levels and uniformity are not as good on these sets, but some are pretty damn good anyways, and they're thin.

There's "OLED" TVs that are actual LED TVs, and you'll know you're buying one of those if the only one you can find is 21 inches and it costs $8000.

OLED is finding it's way to Cellphones and Digital cameras.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
OLED, LED backlit LCD and LED Displays are very different technologies

LED backlit LCD looks better than CCFL LCD mainly because of localized dimming with better blacks and non matte screen for better contrast.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by specuvestor /forum/post/19602453

OLED, LED backlit LCD and LED Displays are very different technologies

LED backlit LCD looks better than CCFL LCD mainly because of localized dimming with better blacks and non matte screen for better contrast.

But edge-lit LED/LCDs may look worse than CCFL/LCDs due to poor screen uniformity issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.