AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been asked but is it truly necessary to have a HDTV that can display in 720p for the upcoming X box 360 system? I know the 360 will be able to scale a 720p games to 1080i, but is there truly a difference between the modes two besides the framerate? I plan on buying the Samsung DynaFlat 26" Widescreen Flat-Tube HDTV (Model: TXR2678WH) within the next two weeks or so from Bestbuy. It says it can display in 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i modes. Some honest feedback would be really appreciated if I need a 720p HDTV and opinions on the Samsung model.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantronix
Sorry if this has been asked but is it truly necessary to have a HDTV that can display in 720p for the upcoming X box 360 system? I know the 360 will be able to scale a 720p games to 1080i, but is there truly a difference between the modes two besides the framerate? I plan on buying the Samsung DynaFlat 26" Widescreen Flat-Tube HDTV (Model: TXR2678WH) within the next two weeks or so from Bestbuy. It says it can display in 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i modes. Some honest feedback would be really appreciated if I need a 720p HDTV and opinions on the Samsung model.

You won't need a HDTV no. Microsoft wants to sell as many of these as possible, and no way they would require that people have an expensive HDTV to use the console.

Where will that TV be located? Have you considered going for a cheaper brand in order to get a larger screen? The way flat panel prices are dropping I wouldn't spend too much on one now. I wouldn't be surprised if you can get the same sets in a year for half the price.

As far as 720P vs 1080i I think its a matter of personal preference. Keep in mind that all HDTV Ready sets will accept 480i/p, 720p, 1080i signals, but the specs you want to pay attention to are the actual panel resolution (how many pixels the screen can display at one time)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

As far as 720P vs 1080i I think its a matter of personal preference. Keep in mind that all HDTV Ready sets will accept 480i/p, 720p, 1080i signals, but the specs you want to pay attention to are the actual panel resolution (how many pixels the screen can display at one time)
The television will be located in a bedroom. Is there a specific resolution I should be looking for? I'm looking for a pretty decent HDTV that I can watch tv shows, dvd movies and play my X box 360 on. Mainly a jack of all trade HDTV. I'm not a huge TV person and I usally watch about 20 hours a week therefore I can't see myself paying a fortune for one.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantronix
The television will be located in a bedroom. Is there a specific resolution I should be looking for? I'm looking for a pretty decent HDTV that I can watch tv shows, dvd movies and play my X box 360 on. Mainly a jack of all trade HDTV. I'm not a huge TV person and I usally watch about 20 hours a week therefore I can't see myself paying a fortune for one.

On anything smaller than say 36" diagonal I don't think you would see much difference between 720p and 1080i. Infact a good DVD and a good dvd player will probably look pretty close to 720p HDTV on a 26" set.

I just realized you are looking at a CRT based set... the true resolution of those is a little more difficult to figure out since they don't have a panel of pixels. But for $650 you might want to look at other options.

I saw a $700 30" 720P LCD flat panel tv listed on a bargain site today.

·
Registered
66 Posts
''Anyone know if the X360 will upscale DVDs to 720p? It should do 480P at least, the original XBOX only did DVDs in 480i''.

Very noobish comment you said there Xbox can do 480p you have to have componet cables though. Even ps2 slim version does 480p with componet cables too. No the 360 won't upconvert DVD's to 1080i or anything else, only 480p tops I know I have both xbox/ps2. Down the road they might add a HI-DEF laser to it but that's unknown for now probably not. I've seen those upcoverts dvd players by the way and it's really not a big diff at all not worth the money. Wait for the real HI-DEF players.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davv
''Anyone know if the X360 will upscale DVDs to 720p? It should do 480P at least, the original XBOX only did DVDs in 480i''.

Very noobish comment you said there Xbox can do 480p you have to have componet cables though. Even ps2 slim version does 480p with componet cables too. No the 360 won't upconvert DVD's to 1080i or anything else, only 480p tops I know I have both xbox/ps2. Down the road they might add a HI-DEF laser to it but that's unknown for now probably not. I've seen those upcoverts dvd players by the way and it's really not a big diff at all not worth the money. Wait for the real HI-DEF players.
LoL for calling me a n00b you're the one that needs to get the facts straight. XBOX disables 480p when playing DVDs. Check this thread.

Trust me I know, I run component cables from the XBOX. There is no way to get it to play DVDs at 480p without modding it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
No. Its just as good using 1080i. Its all up to personal preference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.