AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Generally speaking, is it worth it? Considering that 1080p's are just starting to come down into consumer price range, and with all of the new products announced and ones that will surely be announced soon is it worth spending the extra money for one right now?

I'm pretty taken by the Sharp Aquos 52" 1080p LCD however it does have a hefty price tag. In 6 months how much cheaper will it be? Would I be better off just getting a cheaper 720p 42" or something and waiting 6 months?

How much do you think the market will change and how much do you think prices will drop within the next 6 months?

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Of course it's worth it if you have the resources and one feeds the panel content and enjoy instead of looking back - do people beat themselves up for buying a car that drops like cement in price the moment you drive it home?

HDTV's follow a similar model as PC Tech follows Moore's Law and yes the prices will always drop as Tech improvements evolve - somone has to pay for the R&D - that is not free - it's been that way for decades with Consumer Electronics. Early adopters pay for the R&D and the rest wait on the sidelines always grabbing the phasing out gen sets.

This 6 month wait never stops as the Trade Shows timing are no accident - CES starts the Year - Sony has it's show in March, the Euro CES type show is in Winter, Mits does a Show in May, LA HT Show in June, CEDIA and Asian Show in the Fall, Great Britain usually has a show also and then CES begins the process again as well as many other individual Electronics Events. You'll always be chasing the next big thing.

The bottom line is when you set your value points to make that decision and do not look back - your budget and obsessiveness with this depends - to me I have zero issues even though I know going into such a purchase the price is going to drop and always will. I didn't buy my 57" when it was selling for $15K, I patiently waited until it met my price point and negotiated it at $6500 6 months later - the early adopters paid for that huge MSRP and this is what is affordable for me personally for others that bar can be quite different up and down and I decide what I can afford to lose with little regret and have what I want as this my hobby.

I'll do the same with the D93 65" realizing it may well be priced higher than the 57" and someone will benefit by buying my 57" at a bargain with extended warranty as I migrate to larger but knowing that my hobby is going to cost me to go 30% larger and there is a price to pay and that the 65" may drop a few thousand a year later - life is too short for me to wait IMO and we're empty nesters with no moochers in the house. Instead of having boating as my hobby for instance - my home theater and doing some biking costs far less and I can enjoy my HT everyday instead of a few months a year with boating in MI weather.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can see by your sig that you're quite active in the AV arena :p

You make very good points, but my only concern isn't the constant reduction in price that will always occur, more the fact that since 1080p's are new perhaps it really isn't worth buying them right now due to how FAST things will change within 6 months.

Having said that I'm still probably going to go with the 1080p one that I'm looking at, I just wish that I was moving into my new place 6mos from now, but I don't want to wait

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.