AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is it safe to buy HTPC components on Ebay? (Motherboard, Processor, RAM...)

298 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  monomer 
#1 ·
I'm building my first HTPC, and do not need to have the lastest technologies... I'm just shooting for a PIII 1gig with 256MB RAM.

I've found much better prices on ebay for "BRAND NEW" products. In particular, motherboards and CPUs.

Is it a bad idea to buy from Ebay?

#2 ·
Thoroughly research who is selling things. Check their feedback ratings and buyer comments. If it looks like its too good to be true, it usually is.

There are also a few good places to look for systems like you describe. http://www.compgeeks.com often has systems in the range you are looking at for fairly low prices. Often they are refurbs or company buyouts, but they usually warrant them from being dead in the box, and often go 30 days. You have to check fairly often, as their stock changes almost daily. Right now the closest system they have is a PIII-1Ghz with 128 meg ram at $400. Or you could build a system as you described with new parts for just over $300.

#3 ·
I buy all my HTPC stuff 'almost' exclusively from 2 places: eBay and Newegg.com

Newegg is a no-brainer... you can buy with absolute confidence ... but eBay is another story. I've had both good experiences and "learning" experiences with eBay sellers. Buyer beware... always check feedback and try to "read between the lines"... often buyers will not give an outright negative feedback to a dishonest seller for fear of receiving a negative FB in return. So look at neutral FB and actually read the positive FB as well. With all its rules and policies, eBay doesn't offer any real protection against bad sellers (there's too many of them and eBay doesn't really care... and these bad sellers know it). That said, there are a lot of very good deals on computer stuff to be had... just remember (1)'do your homework' make sure it really is a good deal, research previous auction selling prices (2)'ask questions before you bid not after' (3)'an auction is not a competition or a sport' decide ahead of time the most you're willing to pay for something and stick to it (I know the term used is "winning an auction" but remember you're really just "buying an item"

Oh an if you get 'burned' try to think of it as a 'learning' experience.

#4 ·
Oh and if I were you I'd be looking for something a bit more than 1GHz in a CPU... if you're like most of us, you'll discover so much about the HTPC's possibilities and its capabilities that very soon after purchase you'll probably find a 1GHz CPU too limiting. I'll bet you can find a 2000+AMD for about the same price if you really look. Good Luck....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.