AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my 5040 unit a month ago and initially went with the montly service. With the current purchase of RTV, do you think I should go for a Lifetime membership now or stay with monthly for maybe another couple of months until the dust settles?

·
Registered
983 Posts
actually, i just snagged a 4508 and was kinda wondering the same thing...should i go lifetime now or go monthly and wait to see how it all shakes out?

sturmie

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
No it is not safe to go lifetime, it is also not safe to go monthly, the service could end tomorrow. There are no guarantees when it comes to service like this. I would purchase lifetime as that seems the best value/risk option in my opinion. D&M will either leave the lifetime option as is, raise it or lower it. I would say the chance that the lifetime fee will be lowered is very slim. The bankruptcy court purchase agreement will cover any payments made in the 10-day interim period. No guarantee that the D&M acquisition will close but the situation looks good now. Make a decision and accept the risk. If you think it is worth throwing away $10 to avoid any risk for the lifetime payment for one month, then that option is for you. In a month you will still have the same choice, pay the monthly fee or purchase lifetime. You would have to evaluate the risk again at that time. I would choose lifetime now and see what happens.

Chris

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
I respectfully Disagree. Enron are presently selling off their meager art collection for an expected $1,000,000 (one million dollars) to pay their debtors. The problem is their debtors say Enron owes them $400,000,000,000 (four hunded billion dollars). That sucks!

There's nothing protecting the lifetime membership except how ugly the company would look by not honoring them, their reputation. On the other hand, they could and--business speaking--maybe should blow off all the lifetimes. That would make the lifetime owners mad, but the former lifetimers would be forced into the market of buying a new subscrption. And we all know if youve had a pvr you are always going to go back. Many will forgive them(the ones that dont don't count: they dont make them any money either way..no loss). Many will forgive them because after all, they did carry on the faith and face the debts and continued to carry ReplayTV forward after the ugly Motion Picture lawsuits. How bad can they be? It would be hard to stay mad at them.

The odds might be better that they honor lifetimers then not. However, it would realy suck to pay $250 and see them wipe the slate, maybe offer you a $50 discount on a new lifetime. I just dont want to be that guy, not acceptable. I'd rather wait till they come up with there own rates and pay the new lifetime and pay once. The current lifetimers dont have that privlage. they got to just cross their fingers.

icecow:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Is it an odd or even day? Is it a butter or margarine year? What's better Coffee or Tea? Blah blah or blah? Just shut up get lifetime with your credit card and if it turns out to be any shorter than the name implies complain to your credit card company's purchase protection department. OK here starts the debate if a credit card company will cover that or not. I don't care! I am freaking out! I am sick of the same [email protected]

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Shoot him. Then wait a month or so. Then when you are feeling better about D&M. Change your monthly into Lifetime. There, finish & done. People can use search and see the right thing to do and never ask this question again. End of story ;)

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
If D&M cancels, restructures, or tries to charge current lifetime subscribers for continued data guide service, does that canel or null the SB agreement such that it would be legal for current owners to provide or obtain an alternative source for guide data?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Chris: So are you saying that any lifetime fees we pay to SB now will go to D&M? I was going to wait until I actually see a phone number/web page from D&M that incdicates payment will be going to them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Gerhard
No it is not safe to go lifetime, it is also not safe to go monthly, the service could end tomorrow. There are no guarantees when it comes to service like this.
There are also no guarantees... that your plane will make it to its destination...that your prepaid Carribean beach vacation will not experience a hurricane..that the bus will arrive on time..that you heart will continue to pump blood. Sheesh folks, we're talking $250 max here. Suck it up and move on, things look better now than last week..be happy with that and enjoy life.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I read the post.

The whole shoot me thing was FUNNY.

Anyway.

Folks you can be screwed.

Read the license agreement.

http://www.sonicblue.com/services/_t...ion.asp?cat=23

Read the excerpts below:

1G. Changes to ReplayTV Service. At its discretion, ReplayTV may automatically add, modify, or disable any feature or functionality of the ReplayTV Service or on the ReplayTV unit (when your unit connects to our server or at other times with or without notice). In addition, ReplayTV may modify the terms and conditions of this Agreement from time to time (and will notify you of these changes to the Agreement by either sending a notice to your RepalyTV or, in ReplayTV’s sole discretion, to the address of record that ReplayTV has for you).

2A ... The monthly subscription fee will be charged each month on an ongoing basis while you are authorized to use the ReplayTV Service, and there is no cap on the amount that may be charged ....

2D. Termination of Service; Your Indemnity Obligations. Notwithstanding any term of this Agreement, ReplayTV has the absolute right to immediately suspend or terminate your account, and terminate this Agreement, if you (a) breach any provision of this Agreement or (b) misuse the ReplayTV Service. In addition, if ReplayTV is required to take action such as deactivating or terminating the provision of the ReplayTV Service to you to comply with applicable laws or any compliance policy that SONICblue may adopt from time-to-time, it may do so without violating the terms of this Agreement. You further agree that you will defend, indemnify and hold harmless ReplayTV and its affiliates from and against any and all claims, actions, suits, liabilities, losses, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising out of or relating to any of the actions described above that would entitle ReplayTV to terminate this Agreement.

3A. Warranty Disclaimer. THE REPLAYTV SERVICE IS PROVIDED “AS IS,†“WITH ALL FAULTS,†AND “AS AVAILABLE.†REPLAYTV AND ITS SUPPLIERS DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND REGARDING THE REPLAYTV SERVICE (INCLUDING THIRD PARTY PROGRAMS), WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF TITLE, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. ReplayTV makes no warranty that (a) the ReplayTV Service or its content will meet your requirements, be uninterrupted, error-free, secure or timely;

Im glad I can be of service.

Thanks,

Drastic

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Drastic
The whole shoot me thing was FUNNY.
I am glad it was received as it was intended but this whole monthly vs. lifetime thing is getting real old.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.