AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering using the X1 in my bar which can get quite smokey.

I would only be using it for special sporting evets, so it wouldn't run all the time.

How are the DLP units with smoke? Also I would like to use one

on our deck in the summer for special events. Any opinions?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by quince
I am considering using the X1 in my bar which can get quite smokey.

I would only be using it for special sporting evets, so it wouldn't run all the time.

How are the DLP units with smoke? Also I would like to use one

on our deck in the summer for special events. Any opinions?
I would imagine that you'll have to have the internal optical path cleaned by a service center every year or so. Particulate matter (dust, tar, etc., from smoke) will coat the optics eventually causing a color shift, light loss and soft focus.

I assume the outdoor application is a temporary use (not a permanent install) during good weather? Shouldn't be a problem provided the light output is sufficient.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Yes, you will be cleaning it often.

However, there are a couple other areas that should be of concern ...

1. This cleaning will NOT be covered under warranty. You are probably looking at a minimum of $100 each cleaning (plus shipping)

2. Cleaning an LCD panel from smoke residue and cleaning the color wheel & DLP chip are two completely different animals. Personally, I wouldn't want anyone touching these parts.

If you are looking at a smokey environment and haven't purchased your projector yet, I would look for a model w/ a sealed optical path or possibly call a Hitachi dealer, I have seen that they have a couple models w/ modifications for bar-room environments.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I would think it depends on how many sporting events you consider special. Championship games only probably wouldn't be a big deal, but if you were to use it for all playoff games, that'd get to be a long time.

Maybe it would help if you got a hepa filter or something like that to keep near it. I've read that those can help cigarette smoke.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Roto
I would think it depends on how many sporting events you consider special. Championship games only probably wouldn't be a big deal, but if you were to use it for all playoff games, that'd get to be a long time.

Maybe it would help if you got a hepa filter or something like that to keep near it. I've read that those can help cigarette smoke.
Good Point Roto!

The "smoke eaters" you see in bars can be purchased in a smaller, more economical version which could mount right next to the projector.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.