AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got a small NAS box that supports two 2TB hard drives. I plan to put them on a RAID 1. I imagine they will last me a good while (never had a 24/7 NAS box, but it takes a long time for any of my other HDDs in my PCs to fail).

Anyway, the box only supports certain types of HDDs, so would it be wiser just to stock up on a few now (I was thinking 2 extras should be more than enough), since it's possible those will be harder to find in the future?

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
The 360 does not stack up to an HTPC in any way, shape, or form. Limited codec support (I don't consider transcoding from a separate PC to be a solution to that either, but some people do), very basic interface/menus....it's good for Netflix, and stuff you encode specifically for it, but you will probably run up against it's shortcomings far more often than you would like.

The Kinect is a neat device but I wouldn't pay $150 for one just so I could control my videos by waving my arms. It's a gimmick. To each his own though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ix /forum/post/19531006

The 360 does not stack up to an HTPC in any way, shape, or form. Limited codec support (I don't consider transcoding from a separate PC to be a solution to that either, but some people do), very basic interface/menus....it's good for Netflix, and stuff you encode specifically for it, but you will probably run up against it's shortcomings far more often than you would like.

The Kinect is a neat device but I wouldn't pay $150 for one just so I could control my videos by waving my arms. It's a gimmick. To each his own though.

Sorry, I completely changed my topic before you typed this. I found out that Kinect isn't fully supported when you're streaming your own stuff (I guess you can use its functionality for zune movies/music and possibly netflix), and, like you said, there may be certain filetypes that can't be read.

I couldn't delete the topic, and I had another question anyway, so I completely changed the topic. Thanks for your help though. I guess, since Kinect was hacked, I can hope for some XBMC. It'd be a damn expensive remote control, but damn cool too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts