AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need to see movies in HD.. My father won't get HD cable.. I know the DVHS players are living on borrowed time, but for those who have them, would you recommend them? I seen some for the price of a high quality upconversion player?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Without anyway to store your own content (from HD cable), I don't think they are worth it. There aren't enough new releases available (unless I am wrong).

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
No, it doesn't sound like D-VHS would offer much for your situation. You aren't likely to find any D-VHS rentals or tapes to purchase at reasonable prices and without digital cable, there won't be much available to record. Pass on D-VHS unless you get a good firewire source to record from.

Chris

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard
No, it doesn't sound like D-VHS would offer much for your situation. Chris
Before a recent experience I'd tend to agree, however there are still sources of D-VHS material I'm interested in, the place in mind has a odd way of doing business, they actually care about what you think, and are interested in you as customers! Remember not all HDTV is Hollyweird, thank God! Don't forget HDNet's offerings either. Have a great day. :)

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBI
I really need to see movies in HD.. My father won't get HD cable.. I know the DVHS players are living on borrowed time, but for those who have them, would you recommend them? I seen some for the price of a high quality upconversion player?
There is one thing you need to understand: each DVHS tape costs between 30 and 50. For the price of one tape you can get some basic cable or Sattelite service for almost a month. Depending on where you live some basic HD package could be pretty much included and therefore for free (it is for example if you get Cablevision). So you could spend much less money and get more viewing material by actually getting cable. Also you may have some "off the air" channels available in your area in HD as well and those only require proper equipment. IMO DVHS is great for recording available HD programs but it's not that great for distribution of prerecorded material since that's very limited. So I would only recomend DVHS to record HD programing you get somewhere else (OTA, Cable, Satt.). Keep in mind to record HD on any HD device you need firewire connection. Also there is one JVC model that has HD receiver, here if you are close enough to the transmiter you could receive and record HD programs on one device. Check for listings in your local TV guide if it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Many tapes can be had for less on Ebay... but yes, it isn't cheap ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.