AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 275 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean, this fall,we'll see the first HD DVDS (BATMAN BEGINS etc). ok so there is a format war. i dont care, i'll buy 2 players. i want first something MUCH MUCH better than dvd 'cause when you use a projector, oh my! most dvd really looks ugly (be it soft, compression, constant "compression" smoke, poor colors etc etc).

once you have seen HD on a big screen, lol, dvd is PIGS ****.

So, for many months now, i'm REALLY asking myself: is it still worth buying dvds ???? i say HELL NO ! .

this fall: first HD DVDs (hopefully some BLU RAY too)

2006: several hundreds titles spread over HD DVD and BLU RAY.

2007: thousand+ discs

I just hope the HD DVDs wont look too compressed (artefacts) while mch sharper than dvd

FOX DISNEY COLUMBIA MGM

vs

PARAMOUNT UNIVERSAL WARNER NEW LINE

in the balance: DREAMWORKS

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital2004
So, for many months now, i'm REALLY asking myself: is it still worth buying dvds ???? i say HELL NO ! .
Well.... then don't. :)

·
Registered
369 Posts
that's the reason i haven't invested in a projector yet. absolutely no way. dvd on a big screen. ugh! they're not all bad, but a depressing large percentage are and have no business on a big display (based on my experiences).

as for buying dvds, i would agree in theory, except i just can't stop buying the things. i guess my logic is that it could be years before some films come to the next format, and i want to watch them now. and i also get the shakes if i try to stop.

i'm also very tentative about the next format. it HAS to deliver quality. no more ******** please (i.e. soft transfer, edge enhancement, bad compression). i'm not rebuying my collection to go through all that again. i'll may even make do with dvd (on a small display) if studios fail to deliver on the bottom line.

so, there's still life in dvd for me ...

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, what i'll do is definitely get subcriptions to HDTV channels (Europe) which this fall will start showing tons of movies in 1080i. It will be even worse watching dvds !

and that's another reason why i think studios are pressing to launch high definition dvds 'cause TV channels will become a very strong competition by the fact that Europe is now this october starting to show movies 24/24 etc in HD. (France, UK, Germany).

Dvds now are sold for 2-5euros often (not the latest releases i agree). Big dvds sellers are doing massive discounts on dvds they have in inventory, it's a sign. It's coming. Warner Paramount New Line will be watched very closely this fall after their 100 titles announcement in January 05 at the CES. And since it's war with BLU RAY, it's looking like who's gonna be first.

Besides, manufacturers are pushing for it since they have a hard time selling dvd playersvs chinese crap players sold at $40.

many electronics manufacturers are struggling very hard too (SONY PIONEER (execpt for its plasma division) etc), they NEED something new right now to RELAUNCH the production lines and make money of $1000 dvd players etc.

I agree though tons of old stuff wont be released for years on hd dvd or blu ray, first it will be recent big blockbusters.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Right now, I archive movies that are shown in HD. Obviously, those would be films I want to keep so I had previously bought them on DVD. But now that I've seen or kept them on HD, I don't ever expect to use the DVds again. So, except for the rare Director's edition that might not be released on an HD disc, I've ceased buying DVDs. I'll rent until the eventual HD releases arrive. Just see no point in buying the same movie over and over.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Wow. DVDs look good on my projector. And yes I'll still be buying them because not EVERYTHING will be out on either HD format right away. I'm not giving up watching Star Wars or Jaws just because of HD DVD. And since only my HDTV has the proper input for these things, my projector will just have to settle for standard def DVDs.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp8192
Check out this article on the likely DRM scenarios with the new HD formats.

http://www.dvdfile.com/news/viewpoin...005/05_18.html

If this is the case (and perhaps it isn't), then I'm not excited about HD releases AT ALL. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray could definitely be a PITA that's not worth it.
For all the standards talk about revoking discs and players, I really don't see how it can be practical for the studios to exercise those capabilities; the backlash would simply be too great.

The more serious issue for me is if they implement "call-home" authorization. I simply refuse to BUY any kind of content that requires a mother-may-I when I want to see it and whose useful life is tied to some web-site. I'll be willing to RENT such discs, if the price is right; if not, I'll live with current DVD techonology.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Quote:
i want first something MUCH MUCH better than dvd 'cause when you use a projector, oh my! most dvd really looks ugly (be it soft, compression, constant "compression" smoke, poor colors etc etc).

once you have seen HD on a big screen, lol, dvd is PIGS ****.
Quote:
that's the reason i haven't invested in a projector yet. absolutely no way. dvd on a big screen. ugh! they're not all bad, but a depressing large percentage are and have no business on a big display (based on my experiences).
I hate to say this, but I find those statements to be a heaping load of

"PIGS SH!T" :D

I don't know what kind of projector's your looking at, but DVD's on my Sony 12ht look awesome at 114".

If they are going to put us through a format war, then screw'em. I won't waste my time and money supporting either. No matter how good they might look. That's exactly what they want, is people like you, that will waste your money buying both, supporting their format war.

Redhouse

·
Registered
346 Posts
For my two cents, sure, hd looks great at 100 inches. But...I was just at the theater last week and the picture I saw there (and I specifically looked) was closer in graininess to dvd than to hd. Film has a certain cinematic "roughness" to it, with softer edges and colors than vary from grain to grain. DVD's, by accident probably in our case, look similar when blown up to the ridiculous sizes that we enthusiasts like. HD pictures are so sharp and vivid that they have a look all their own. Pleasing and ultra realistic. But DVDs still look gorgeous and, to my eye, as pleasing on my home theater screen as on a theater screen. I've never seen the numbers, but I'd be willing to bet the actual ratio of the number of pixels or grains per square foot of screen is pretty similar at the theater as it is to our home theaters.

ArtT

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I still buy DVDs and I watch mostly HDTV now. A good movie on DVD is much better than a bad film in HDTV. I think DVDs are a great value and look good enough for me to enjoy the movie on my Sony XBR910 or Panasonic PT-L500U 720p LCD projector. Given a choice, I watch HDTV but I still watch DVDs and will for the foreseeable future.

Chris

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
try to watch a few minutes of hd and then switch to a dvd, even a good one, on a large screen: ouch! it hurts, it shocks ! you simply can't compete with 3times more data on hd vs dvd (1280x720 or 1920x540p vs 720x450 or 340 in 2.35:1). and the colors!!!!

tons of different blues, reds, yellows etc etc in HD.

again, watch it on a big screen and the gap is gigantic (say screens of 2.4-4meters).

however, the will of manufactuers to go with HD is not for this reason but firstly an economic one, they are needing a new software to force people to invest in more expensive gears since dvd players are flooding the market at ridiculous prices (craps made in china etc). even if OF COURSE (and it's true) a Denon or a Pioneer high end gives a much better picture and audio that an unknown brand or even known one $50 dvd player.

Hollywood also wants hd because people rent copy (!) dvds or download movies and sales are starting to disappoint a bit... also the copy protection issue: dvd is being copied ad nauseam now and Hollywood really does not like that

back to the quality: again watch a good hd program and compared it with a dvd, on a large screen, it's striking. look at the hd trailers of movies on yr PC too ! of course there are exceptions and some transfers/sources are stunning (take some superbits or rules of engagement etc).

anyway, it's time the hd prerecorded dvds hit the stores.

renting dvds, trying to watch a movie in HD on tv, and slowly rebuilding (lol) our movies collections from blu ray and hd dvd is a good approach imho.

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
Perhaps you could enlighten us on your setup, Digital. I still love watching DVDs on my new 101" screen, Toshiba DLP, and Panasonic S97 DVD player. There's no way I'm hunting for my movies on HBO HD or waiting two years for them to come out on HD DVD or Blu-ray (and I'm not rich enough to buy all the HD players when they come out either.) If you think DVDs look like pig sh++ on your projector, then you must have a subpar projector, dvd player, or your settings are off.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Sorry I have to disagree. I'm more than happy with the quality of DVDs on my 92" screen and Sharp 10K DLP projector. While HD looks better, its not enough for me to give up on DVDs. I won't jump into the HD mix until a decent player is around $500 and discs are $25. Until then DVDs are more the enough.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I stopped buying DVDs two and a half years ago in anticipation of BDs. OTA HD just blows away DVD and BD promises even better with 1080p so it was a simple decision for me to make. In the meantime I've rented as well as borrowed DVDs from friends.

·
Registered
621 Posts
A guy can wait his life away on the next big thing to come along and give you a new version of your old favorites. Many movies on DVD took 6, 7 years to show up, and some of them likely will never see life in the HD format, or if they do will do so in another 5-7 years. I don't need to own every film I currently have in another new format when they look quite watchable in their current DVD rendition.

·
Registered
630 Posts
You have hit on the difference betwen an AVS fanboy, and the mainstream population.

AVS members will be among the few who buy HD DVDs before the players are cheap and the standards are settled.

The mainstream are confused at best, due to the industry's chaotic and predatory approach to the introduction of new technology.

1 - 20 of 275 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.