AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 year old Toshiba 62HM196 Rear Projection TV. Since it's 4 years old I have been expecting the bulb to burn out at any time. Today when I turned the TV on, it started flickering different colors. Sometimes it would be a pink band about half the size of the screen, then another color but in a different size and sometimes it would be almost full screen but always just a single color. No picture. I could hear the sound just fine. I expected when the bulb went it would just be black. I was not expecting projection of colors. Is this my bulb or is this something else?

If this is my bulb, where is a good place to get a decent quality bulb at a good price?

Thanks for the help.

Jim

·
Registered
4,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jereece /forum/post/19600133

I have a 4 year old Toshiba 62HM196 Rear Projection TV. Since it's 4 years old I have been expecting the bulb to burn out at any time. Today when I turned the TV on, it started flickering different colors. Sometimes it would be a pink band about half the size of the screen, then another color but in a different size and sometimes it would be almost full screen but always just a single color. No picture. I could hear the sound just fine. I expected when the bulb went it would just be black. I was not expecting projection of colors. Is this my bulb or is this something else?

If this is my bulb, where is a good place to get a decent quality bulb at a good price?

Thanks for the help.

Jim

IIRC, that is a DLP TV, in which case it could be the color wheel failing.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The odd thing as far as it being a color wheel would be, on most all DLP's the color wheel has to be up to the proper rpms in order to even firing the lamp on. IN which case you won't get one color.

WILL it do it on more than one input? Or do you always turn it on with the same input on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it does it with any input. So assuming it's not the bulb, I wonder how expensive it will be to repair? If it's under $500 I may just have it repaired. If over I'll probably just buy a new LCD TV.

Any opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the 52" Toshiba DLP and it's been through six color wheels/light engine units in five years. If you are handy, you might be able to disassemble the colorwheel/light engine unit and send it to a repair place that will send it to Toshiba for rebuild. It can take anywhere from eight days to eight weeks or more to get that done, that is if the parts are still available. The rebuild costs anywhere from $200 on up.

You might want to see if the part is available somewhere online and just switch it out.

Some people just remove the back and give it a good cleaning and that gives it some more life but that takes a few hours of disassembling, cleaning and reassembling and it still might not work.

Anyways, if your not into the rebuilding or just want a fresh start, it might make sense to go new. Some advice, purchase the service agreement. It saved us lots of money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts