AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The PQ sucks. Skin tones have pink blotches in them. Background has blue blotches in it. Whites are too bright and wash out some of the picture. Do I need to adjust my projector or wait for a superbits version. :)

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I had the same problem when watching Cannonball Run! :) The far left side of the picture was green in some scenes and it looked like a problem with color uniformity on my projector. I realized it was in the movie when I mirrored the picture and the green edge moved to the other side. :)

This happened all the time during the movie. It didn't happen on the same edge every time.

Tor Arne

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Yep, Charlie's Angels PQ is exactly as you describe it. Picture is soft also.

Garbage in, garbage out. My favorite movie, nevertheless.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Yep. MPEG-2 conversion has a number of adjustable parameters that can be screwed up too easily. Viewed on a "normal" craptastic TV or even "monitor", many of these errors escaped detection by the human eye. Blown up many times larger, and upscaled 6x or more beyond NTSC res, they become quite obvious.

Some DVD's, instead of being converted from the original film, are converted to VHS video first, then digitized from the horribly lo-res tape to DVD.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Actually, I just watched the PAL version of Charlie's Angels on my Hitachi 5500 (3 metre-wide screen) and the results were outstanding.

I could see none of the artifacts mentioned at all... (and I was looking for them)

Perhaps the PQ issues are specific to the NTSC version?

rgds,

Craig

·
Registered
108 Posts
I use the NTSC version of Charlie's Angels as one of few references to check my Hitachi 5500 against other PJs (Panny AE100 was one of them). On an 8 feet wide image, PQ of the DVD from the 5500 is stunning, the picture is sharp, the colour is very vibrant and smooth, cannot see any blotches or artifacts. I thought the quality of the DVD is very close to Superbits. Am I wrong?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Charlie's Angel DVD pic quality is excellent. I agree with DKChan. To me, it is almost Superbit quality. My only gripe is that the colors are oversaturated but that is the films fault not the DVD. The director wanted that over saturated look, and its a great corful fun film.

Dennis

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Go to the opening sequence when they land in the boat. Don't tell me that that the 3 girls faces aren't soft and washed out.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
JPinTO:

I haven't seen this movie (I know you think I am about to make a joke but I am not) on DVD but I can tell you that it is actually used quite a bit as demo material at shows like CEDIA and CES.

·
Registered
108 Posts
JPinTO,

Sorry to tell you that is the exact sequence on the DVD I use to check PJs, The faces of the three girls are so sharp and smooth, colour saturation is so high that it is almost cartoon like. Especially check out the freckle details on Lucy Liu's face.

I had a side by side (Hitachi 5500 and Panny AE100). I know it's not fair, and I don't mean to insult AE100 owners, but ....it's the PJ not the DVD. Haven't see Charlie's Angels on the NEC LT-150 yet.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I'm not talking about the facial closeups--- if you are seeing their freckles then that's not what I'm talking about--- at the end of the sequence the three girls are standing up facing the bow and the boat is coming towards the viewer. There isn't a lot of facial detail available and I just find the girls faces indistinct and washed out.

The entire scene is incredibly bright (blue sky&water)... perhaps my bright white wall isn't being as good of a screen as I had hoped.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am seeing exactly what JPinTO is seeing. The closeups are great, its the distant shots and backgrounds that are washed out and blotchy.

It's not my setup, because this is the first DVD I noticed it on. All other look great.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Watched it again last night.

If you look closely, there are lots of places in the movie where it happens. Faces are horribly washed out in the race track scene. Also, some of the faces on inside scenes like the "belly dancing for director#1" are indistinct.

Overall it's a great movie, one of my faves... but I find that PQ varies from great to so-so.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CraigSP
Actually, I just watched the PAL version of Charlie's Angels on my Hitachi 5500 (3 metre-wide screen) and the results were outstanding.

I could see none of the artifacts mentioned at all... (and I was looking for them)

Perhaps the PQ issues are specific to the NTSC version?

rgds,

Craig

In europe we're used to say that NTSC means Never Twice the Same Color..... :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.