AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal...Prior to the Sat. C install and even with it now "on"...I can't get Channel 202 (CNN) on DirecTV. The screen says..."searching for signal", blah, blah, blah. This happens on three other channels that I can't seem to remember off the top of my head as I don't watch them anyhow.

Not that I watch much of CNN either but I got to thinking that if it's a "virus" or "bug"...I wouldn't want my other Channels, particular HD, to get "zapped". So I called DirecTV and...yup, good guess...they blamed it on the Panny receiver. So I call Panasonic and the guy tells me it's the fault of my dish (Oval) and that it's not tilted right as I get 0% on transponder 29 and 36% to 48% on transponder 26 from the "A" satellite. I told him that would be a possibility 'cept how come I get CNN, etc. on my other three first generation RCA receivers? Oops...he didn't know I had other receivers so he ruled that out.

He then suggested I take off my Panny and swap it out on another TV. He says if I get CNN on the Panny then I have a "cable" problem. So I do that and, sure enough, I do indeed get the CNN picture through the Panny. I suppose I should have put my RCA on my Elite PRO 610 HD monitor but didn't think about it at the time...'sides...it's a pain in the butt anyhow.

Still, I think it's the receiver. Even though I sent back my 2002 Panny receiver for the upgrades (got a 2001 back in it's place ), I still get occassional "drop outs".

My Panny receiver is less than 3 months old and would like some suggestions from the AVS Forum resident experts. Do you think it's the receiver? Should I demand Panasonic send me a new one?

What say ye O' wise AVS Forum members?

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Blitzburgh
Here's the deal...Prior to the Sat. C install and even with it now "on"...I can't get Channel 202 (CNN) on DirecTV. The screen says..."searching for signal", blah, blah, blah. This happens on three other channels that I can't seem to remember off the top of my head as I don't watch them anyhow.

[...]So I call Panasonic and the guy tells me it's the fault of my dish (Oval) and that it's not tilted right as I get 0% on transponder 29 and 36% to 48% on transponder 26 from the "A" satellite.[...]

He then suggested I take off my Panny and swap it out on another TV. He says if I get CNN on the Panny then I have a "cable" problem. So I do that and, sure enough, I do indeed get the CNN picture through the Panny. I suppose I should have put my RCA on my Elite PRO 610 HD monitor but didn't think about it at the time...'sides...it's a pain in the butt anyhow.
Based on my somewhat limited experience, you have a cable problem, pure and simple. I've seen a marginal cable block out a single transponder, but work fine everywhere else. Replacing the cable made the problem go away. (I was getting a signal strength of 100%, not 0%, but that's another story.)

What's curious is why you still want to blame the box when you state that putting it on a different run of cable caused it to perform properly.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally posted by sregener

What's curious is why you still want to blame the box when you state that putting it on a different run of cable caused it to perform properly.
Didn't know I was blaming the matter on anything in particular other than it would appear most folks don't have a high opinion of the TUHDS20 in comparison to most other Panny products, i.e.; TV's, Radio's, phones, even vaccum cleaners; and, the fact they sent me an older model to when they did the "upgrade" for the drop out problem. I don't know about you but I don't think that was quite right.

However, I appreciate your response and will have the cable check out. Thanks...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.