AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only standard definition TVs some only have RF input for cable. they are 4:3 in aspect ratio. The images that I receive appear cropped or cut off. I'm missing part of the picture. My TVs don't have any way to adjust the aspect ratio. I really don't have the money to replace even one of the TVs. Is there anything I can do besides buy new TVs? Can I get the station to uni-cast or multicast their programming to me in 4:3? It's so frustrating sometimes because I miss important info, e.g. a persons name is cut off when i watch interviews or can't see the whole picture when i watch my favorite shows. Is there anything I can do about it besides spend money?

Sincerely,

Penniless

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry I should have included this in the original post.

Service: Comcast Digital Starter or Digital premium

Wall plate to surge protector in via coax

Surge protector out to STB

via coax to STB: Motorola DCT700/US

(Comcast calls them DTAs and one other term I can't recall)

Via Coax to TV: Sanyo DS31590 (CRT)

The DTA or STB, whatever you prefer to call it, has RCA ports on it I'd like to be able to record shows with my VCR. please don't laugh. I use a VCR because DVRs cost money to rent from Comcast and I don't have a dedicated PC for media. So I'm stuck with what I have until fortune smiles on me.

The other problem is that the TV only has 1 set of RCA inputs. so If I plug in my Comcast service via RCA I have to switch the cables every time I want to watch a dvd or a recorded show. it's bad enough i have to swap it every time I want to play Wii. Just wish I could have enough connections. Thank God the TV is stereo. I'd hate to have to listen to a mono TV in the age of HDTV and Blu-Ray. I know, I know, a new TV would be the best solution but it's way out of my price range. Even an old 32 inch HDTV is too much. anything smaller than that is not worth it to me because it's smaller than what I have and to what I am accustomed.

Also the STB does not have any options to change the picture size or aspect ratio. neither does my TV.

I've attached the manuals for your reference. hope they help.

I called Comcast tech support and the gist of the experience was that the TV has to have the adjustment because they don't provide that with their DTA.

I don't know why I am forced to rent a DTA from Comcast. why can't I just buy one and implement it? I've asked Comcast repeatedly they keep saying no. Probably because they want to suck as much cash out of my family as they can.

If anyone can help please reply. anything helps. thanks

Sincerely

Desert_dweller5

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_dweller5 /forum/post/20881645

The DTA or STB, whatever you prefer to call it, has RCA ports on it I'd like to be able to record shows with my VCR. please don't laugh. I use a VCR because DVRs cost money to rent from Comcast and I don't have a dedicated PC for media. So I'm stuck with what I have until fortune smiles on me.

You should just be able to do RCA from the DTA to the VCR, and then RCA out of the VCR into the TV. The box does all the tuning, and the VCR will record whatever comes over the RCAs (the VCR might have to be set to record from Video 1 or something, depending on which model you have.) Then you can watch and record the channel the DTA tunes.

Quote:
The other problem is that the TV only has 1 set of RCA inputs. so If I plug in my Comcast service via RCA I have to switch the cables every time I want to watch a dvd or a recorded show. it's bad enough i have to swap it every time I want to play Wii. Just wish I could have enough connections.

That can be solved with an A/V switch, like one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-2875...4656778&sr=8-2

Quote:
I don't know why I am forced to rent a DTA from Comcast. why can't I just buy one and implement it? I've asked Comcast repeatedly they keep saying no. Probably because they want to suck as much cash out of my family as they can.

Welcome to the new cable. Yeah, it sucks, but what can we do?

·
Registered
349 Posts
To answer your original question about the aspect ratio of certain channels, with your current setup, there is nothing you can do about it without spending money on a new tv.

Many channels have begun to broadcast in a widescreen format even on analog and SD channels. Espn and CNN are two examples. You could try to have them change this for you but I don't see that happening...at all.

Sorry to say but for now you are stuck.

As far as your RCA situation as suggested by Tulpa, an av switcher would be a worthwhile and cheap investment to alleviate having to switch cables out all the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone for the great replies.

@Weags, That's what I was afraid of. It's very disheartening. I think that when the US govt required people to switch to digital it was really the cable and satellite companies lobbying the american people to switch to HD, because why should you buy a brand new shiny TV that can give you many more pretty colors, as in "ooo, look at the pretty colors." and watch the older duller deal on it? answer: "you shouldn't." said the salesman "We'll just take it out of your slaves wages, so you can be more distracted." said the corporate control machine. We the people should be looking for WMDs, Weapons of Mass Distraction.

I'm just ticked off because I can't afford the American Dream. Only the super rich need apply for that dream. If your credit score isn't an 850 or higher, (BTW 850 is the highest FICO score) you need not bother applying to the American Dream, Because lets face it, you're broke! (I don't mean you personally I mean you in plural)

@Tulpa thanks for the recommendation. The real problem here is lack of cash flow. If you were wondering, Yes, I am that broke that I can't afford $16 item. not to mention shipping and tax.

Secondly, I'd rather not listen to my shows in mono. My VCR is only mono. so having it set up that way to me is a step down. I think its only a good solution for when I have to record something for later playback. I often work during prime time programming. On Demand has been a huge friend. I'm so glad the shows I watch are on there. I have 2 other VCRs in storage I'm thinking about unearthing to see if they have stereo capability. I don't eve know where they are in there or if they even work.

I appreciate your advice. I don't want to solicit advice and then argue it away. I just don't have the means at this time to take the advice. I'm planning on it once I can though. The obvious next step is...

GET A JOB!

Thanks for all your help.

Sincerely

Desert_dweller5

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_dweller5 /forum/post/20885050

I think that when the US govt required people to switch to digital it was really the cable and satellite companies lobbying the american people to switch to HD,

Nah, the cable and sat cos had nothing to do with the government's mandate to switch to digital. That switch only affected people who use an antenna, and was to reclaim bandwidth so the government could reallocate (read: sell) it.

Cable and satellite digital switch is totally separate (and satellite did it a long time ago.)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
if ur pennyless why are u paying the cable company's highway robbery rates. Save some dough by getting a new TV, go antenna (digital real clear with antenna) the TV will pay itself in just 6 months!

My God, it's day&night. I'd stop eating just to get a new TV.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@MrBob

It's part of the rent. Can't be shut off to save money. Keeping the TV off doesn't save money, except for electricity. Internet is also packaged in. It sounded like a sweet deal when I signed up, it's not so much anymore. trying to find income so I can pay for a better situation. I was actually thinking about just throwing the TV out because it's a time waster. I might be better off. I'm conflicted about it. I think it's also a good escape. which is part of the problem I turn it on and it stays on for hours longer than it should.

Sincerely

Deesrt_dweller5

·
Registered
1,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb /forum/post/20885849

if ur pennyless why are u paying the cable company's highway robbery rates. Save some dough by getting a new TV, go antenna (digital real clear with antenna) the TV will pay itself in just 6 months!

My God, it's day&night. I'd stop eating just to get a new TV.

I agree. I canceled my cable subscription back in 2008 and I haved saved $2,800 in cable fees since. I have a 50 inch Panasonic Plasma HDTV and I get 15 channels (6 in HD) for free with my antenna. We just got MeTV last week. I also have a nice DVD collection. I love watching HDTV for free with no pay TV bill coming in every month.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.