AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Current setup is

Denon 2809 AVR(Bought in 08)

Denon POA 2400 Class A Amp 200w/channel(Bought in Early 90's in Military- Quality amp)

B&W DM640 Fronts (Bought in Mid 90's)

Klipsch Synergy Center & Rears(Bought in 08)

Mirage PS12-90 Sub (I think weak link at this time) Bought in Mid 90's

PS3( GAmes and Bluray)

Philips progressive scan DVD

Comcast

Sharp 60" LC-60E88UN LCD

All HDMI through AVR and one cable to TV.

I watch more movies lately than listening to music. But when I get the urge I do go loud. The B&W's can loose the bass. I dont think the Mirage sub can keep up.

I think I should start off with a good sub ( Sunfire, SVS or ???)

The B&W seem to sound good but are dated. I have never ran the fronts directly off the Denon 2809. I use the preout and set the system up with Audyssey to be balanced.

Will Some newer DM9's be a big upgrade or other brands?

MAybe its the room but I feel at times it does not go loud enough! I have set it too +5 on the Vol knob. Like I said this is not often maybe once a month. Movies seem to be more at nomral family levels.

Looks for some thoughts and input.

Its been a while since I have been in a true highend AV only store.

Room is 13' Wide and back of couch is at 15'

Thanks

Dennis

Some Pics of room

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I agree 100% with Kal.

You already have nice gear. If your mains still sound good why change them, Attempting to acheive Flat Frequency responses where the goal 15yrs ago as they are today.

The only upgrade or change that'll make HUGE and I mean HUGE improvements are treating first reflections. Any other changes you make equpment wise will have much smaller improvements if any at all. When you get into changing speakers it's all depends on the person and their taste.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its looks like I going to try a newer sub. HSU has a few I am getting some info on.

This should help take some of the strain of driving the B&W's really hard to get more base from my mains since the mirage I believe cant keep up to my taste.

I will do more research on the wall treatment. Thats a whole new area I never thought of.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I'd try and find the matching center on the used market and like others have mentioned look into softening some of those "hard" surfaces. Throw pillows, area rugs, and if WAF allows more "traditional forms of room treatment.

Also, when you get your new center, try centering it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info.

I pulled the trigger on the HSU VTF-15h Sub

I will also read up on wall treatment. I may start with a throw rug.

AS foprthe center. I dont get distracted looking at the center when watching movies...so being off center of what the pic above displays is/can be a issue???

Can someone shed some light on how to match up my mains to a better center. You could say buy a B&W center or waht other option can I have?

Thanks

·
Registered
174 Posts
Placement of the center as if it were an A/V component (receiver, cable box etc.) may be aesthetically pleasing but is not the proper way.

Your center is an MTM design, which performs fine straight ahead but suffers when even slightly off-axis. Put that center in the center where it belongs.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtye8 /forum/post/19539449

Thanks for the info.

AS foprthe center. I dont get distracted looking at the center when watching movies...so being off center of what the pic above displays is/can be a issue???

Can someone shed some light on how to match up my mains to a better center. You could say buy a B&W center or waht other option can I have?

Thanks

Glad that you're taking the room treatment suggestion seriously. Your L/R speakers look like they are right up against the wall - bring them out a foot or two.

Buy a B&W center.
Check these out: B&W DM1600's with small stands - Mount one of those vertically and you've got a great center, or hold out and try to find a DM center channel (which actually would be inferior to my other suggestion).

HSU makes great subs, with all of these changes you should notice a significant difference.

Ron

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtye8 /forum/post/19539449

Thanks for the info.

Thanks

On the center speaker, ideally you want it to be as close a timbre match to your left/rights so you have a more cohesive sound from your front speakers. The difference between the horn loaded Klipsh and dome tweeter B&Ws is very drastic, at least to my ears (I have had and liked both). The best thing would be to find a used B&W center in the same line as your current speakers - check out audiogon.com or craigslist. It may be a bit of a challenge given the age of your speakers.

Also congrats on the HSU sub, I am sure you will enjoy it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.