AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My room is 2,610 cubic FT, sealed in a basement. My system is an Integra 9.8, Paradigm Ref Active 40's front, back, active 450 center, active ADP 450's sides and 2 Servo 15's v1. Tests were done with Audyssey engaged, RS meter, C weight and fast, volume at Ref level. Measurements were taken from the main seating area, 13ft from the subs.

WOTW. Chapter 4 the lighting strikes. 100db to 103db.

Chapter 5 the machine coming out of the ground. The highest measurement was 105-106db.

What got me thinking about upgrading subs was at ref-level I dont get the headroom, if you will, that I get at volumes -10 to -5 which is where I listen to movies most of the time. I think at Ref-level I am pushing the subs to their limit and then some.

I have looked at Graigsub's list and there are lots of good subs there. The problem will be finding some of them around here to listen to.

The only thing is size nothing larger than the Epik Conquest.

Let me know what you guys think.

Brad

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
I have my subs set to referance using pink noise, and in my 1800^3 room, my seating position is near field to both subs which are place symmetrically. During heavy bass scenes my spls are in the 85 to 90 db range and thats more then loud enough for me.

Ian

·
Banned
5,125 Posts
Sounds like you’re dissatisfied with what you have or what it can and can’t do within its technical tolerance levels

I know the scene very well I have it on region 2 DVD, thou I’m not going to start playing that film now, its too late maybe sometime in the morning or late afternoon.

I wouldn’t push the sub too far if I was you unless you know what to listen for, and I’m talking about that elusive popping sound that you think is part of the soundtrack, when in fact its close to bottoming out.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
It is an outstanding time to get a new sub. With all these great designs sold at very realistic prices,the competition is immense and the customer winns.

This year is The Year of the Sub. No doubt

The Conquest would be an outstanding choice, or two of the slightly smaller Epik offerings(Tower).

You could also get dual SVS Ultra13's and vastly outperform (output) the first gen Servo 15. While a great SQ sub with true deep bass extension it lacks displacement by today's competitive standards.

The Servo 15 V.1 driver's cone has around an inch of max travel,plus being sealed ...it gets obvious why it may not impress in HT. Even the mighty f113 woofer that out displaces the Servo V.1 several times over has to stretch to keep up with subs using lesser displacement drivers in ported cabinets.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEAR /forum/post/12900895

It is an outstanding time to get a new sub. With all these great designs sold at very realistic prices,the competition is immense and the customer winns.

This year is The Year of the Sub. No doubt

The Conquest would be an outstanding choice, or two of the slightly smaller Epik offerings(Tower).

You could also get dual SVS Ultra13's and vastly outperform (output) the first gen Servo 15. While a great SQ sub with true deep bass extension it lacks displacement by today's competitive standards.

The Servo 15 V.1 driver's cone has around an inch of max travel,plus being sealed ...it gets obvious why it may not impress in HT. Even the mighty f113 woofer that out displaces the Servo V.1 several times over has to stretch to keep up with subs using lesser displacement drivers in ported cabinets.

The Servo 15's do fine until I need that extra woof at higher volumes. I have been very happy with them. At the time I got them they were pretty good sub. Until you compare it with todays subs, or get stuck in this section of AVS

I have been reading about SVS Ultra13's as well. The problem is this would be a blind purchase with either purchase.

My wife says I should just keep the volume down and save some money
Iam just glad she's two floors up

Brad

1 - 6 of 6 Posts