AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for advice on my Yamaha receiver. I bought it a couple of years ago thinking that I would not venture into 3D, yet here I am today having bought a 3D TV and the glasses to go with it. I now have to choose whether to annoy my wife and replace the receiver, or put up with it and use the TV for 3D BD. The best replacement I can find in my price range is the Denon 3312ci ($900 in Canada). How will the Denon compare to the Yamaha in terms of SQ?

I might be able to justify the purchase if I am gaining something in the sound quality over the Yamaha overall. Realistically I don't watch too many BDs now that BlockBuster has gone south. I use the optical out of my cable box (capable of VoD 3d) and it doesn't support HD sound anyway. If I purchase the Denon it's for a small number of 3D BDs that I will most likely borrow from friends. Is it worth the "upgrade", or am I even going down in quality with this model?

·
Registered
29,059 Posts
you could buy a blu ray player with dual HDMI outputs which would probably be cheaper than a new 3312 receiver. The Oppo DBP-93 is one example.
http://oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-93/

Then you connect one output to the receiver for high resolution audio and the other HDMI output to the TV for 3D video.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that's an idea. I was sceptical of dual HDMI outputs in case they negotiate to the lowest device (I tried a switch which does that). The manual of the Oppo suggests to use the second HDMI for a 1.3 receiver, but even if it doesn't work then the analogue out probably will. The problem is that the cost will be similar to or possibly more than the difference in selling the Yamaha to to buy the Denon (i.e. in wife-annoyance territory). This decision still comes down to whether the Denon is better than the Yamaha or not.

Are there any cheaper BD players with dual HMDI and/or analogue out options?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've scoured the local stores looking for a BDT310 but nothing doing (and shipping from the US is usually restricitve). I'm not really interested in used stuff, but maybe I'll just bite the bullet for it or else look for the Oppo.

The 3312 is on sale until tomorrow so I would still be interested in hearing from anyone who has tried both.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I am going to stay with the Yamaha; it sounded better than the 3310 with my speakers when I bought it, and I doubt the 3312 is going to be any different. At the end of the day I might watch less than five 3d movies in a year and can put up with the optical out for those movies. If it really bugs me then I'll get a BD with either dual HDMI or analogue out. My wife pointed out that it's a lot of money for a small gain, while in two or three years there will be more technology changes which could make an upgrade a worthwhile investment. She also suggested putting the money into a baby-sitter and then go out to watch 3d movies for a better experience - I like her way of thinking, although it's wrong as it also means restaurants and beer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts