AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get some input from projector owners on current models of LCD, DLP and DILA projectors. I am currently using a Sony 10HT projector in a totally light controlled room with a Dalite High Power screen 107 in diagonal 16 x 9. I am not particularly unhappy with the Sony unit, but I do have two major gripes.

1) Bulb Life

I am on my second bulb with already has over 500 hours on it and my first bulb lasted just 800 hours. Bulb life in the 10HT is rated at 1000 hours which is pretty low compared to newer units. We use the projector allot and I am looking for a less expensive bulb, more bulb hours, or both. At

500$ a pop this is starting to get expensive.

2) Black Level

How do the newer LCD's and other types of projectors compare in this respect.

I would prefer something that would work with my current High Power screen and ceiling mount position. We watch mostly satellite broadcasts including HDTV with DVD movies and XBOX close seconds.

Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
come on jimmy dawn jhouse heres another potential convert

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Maggie Guy you've got at least the screen going for you (good choice) to get a great image from any digital projector with good cr and black level.

Read all you can to find the downfall's and benefits of the deferent technology's. I can recommend the Sanyo HD20/PLV-70 (same pj) with the HiPower screen strongly.

The bulbs seem to average an estimated usage of 2000 hrs. but with no guarantee from the mfgr's they'll last that long. There's not too many report's of bulb's not lasting that long although it sometimes happens as in your case.

Take your time. lot's of real nice pj's out there and coming at different price points.

And try to see what your most interested in before you buy if you can.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jimmy,

How about the Sanyo PLV-60 which has been reduced in price due to the release of the PLV-70? I was told that the PLV-70 would be too bright with a High Power screen.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alan,

I don't have a problem with the price of the PLV-70 as long as it is right for my setup. It's just that I was told by an individual that the PLV-60 would be better with a High Power screen. That's why I am trying to get input from actual users.

Anyone compare the Sanyo PLV-70 to the Sony 12-ht?

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
The HD20 is certainly brighter than the Sony but sure isn't "too bright" with the HiPower screen. It seem's most people who say that haven't seen the combination. Do yourself a favor and draw your own conclusion. Beg if you have to get one to see before you let someone talk you out of it.

It'll be a long-shot you agree with "someone", but I doubt it.:)

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Maggie Guy,

As Alan alluded to, I don't think the move to a PLV60 would give you the step up in performance that you'd logically be expecting with a new purchase.

There are a number of rapidly-becoming-affordable DLP and LCoS units that could be options--a 100% light controlled room gives you a lot of flexibility projector-wise (start reading those threads). Also, even though a PLV70 on a 107" diagonal High Power in a 100% light controlled room might be a *little* bit bright for some people's eyes (see, Jimmy, I can be diplomatic), if you did in fact love the PLV70, you could always apply a ND filter to cut the light output as desired and thus boost the perceived black level (all else equal, a PLV70 is going to be at least 100% brighter than what you've got now...a PLV60 would be about 20% brighter).

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
PLV70 is going to be at least 100% brighter than what you've got now...a PLV60 would be about 20% brighter).

In detail how'd you come up with those numbers ? Boy you love numbers.

Havn't seen you around Alex (diplomat) but I havn't run rampant in you absence :)

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
jimmy you forgot to tell him about the free tv

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
what you can not remember your own posts

Dawn remind him

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Jimmy, the HT10 is good for 1000 ANSI lumens (best case). The PLV70 is good for 2000 ANSI lumens (or better, depending upon who's doing the measurements). 2000/1000 = 2, or a 100% increase in brightness, all else being equal. And I thought the education system in Cali was supposed to be top notch! :)

P.S. Numbers are our friends!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Would you consider waiting it out?

If black level is a major concern and disappointment to you on your current projector, then yes, you will find that DLP, and even newer LCD models have better absolute black level reproduction on them.

However, considering your argument with the bulb....

If a bulb is 500 bucks a shot, and you get 800-1000 hours of use, when you consider the cost of a new projector, it might not seem like a major thing to upgrade because of.

How many hours do you put in during a year?

Because, if you only put 500 - 1000 in a year...then that i 500 bucks you spent to tie you over till the newer things come out. I don't suggest playing the waiting game, as you may end up waiting forever. BUT, considering you already have a projector that you are not really dissatisfied with, and there are alot of new thigns coming out in a few months time, waiting it out might be a logical answer. (And if by that time you dodn't see anything new you like, the PLV-70 will drop in price!)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
David,

I think you have a valid point. Perhaps my first bulb blowing at 800 hours was a fluke. It took about 18 months to get to that point. Now after six months I am at 500 plus hours and we are using the room more than ever.

Maybe I will get more hours out of this bulb, but only time will tell. At least the Sony service center is just a couple of miles from my home and I am friends with the manager. That does not mean that I get a discount, but when my bulb blew I droped off the unit and they called me back as hour later and said it was ready. Optics cleaned as well.

I haven't looked seriously into the state of projectors for a while now and I am just trying to get an idea of what is available and how much of an improvement can I expect.

Also it would be nice to find a unit with 2000-3000 hours of bulb life!

That would actually save me some $ in the long run.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.